i want to use factory xm antenna with portable xm radio!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by agent005, Jun 26, 2010.

1. agent005

agent005 New Member

hi, new here and looking for some help//i have 2007 silverado (new style) crew cab, bose and factory xm...i want to use the factory xm antenna with my portable xm radio (not paying the jacked up price for multiple radios anymore)...i know the xm module is behind the dash....has anyone done this and how SPECIFICALLY is it accomplished.....do i need additional parts?

thanks, Matt

2. Topdogdad1

Topdogdad1 New Member

Hey agent005...I have 7 years installation experience with mobile electronics, although i've moved on to law enforcement, i still know a great deal about these things. I have a 2000 Silverado myself and just installed my DVD/Navigation/XM Radio/I-Pod adapter yesterday. To my knowledge with the factory installed XM Tuners, they are not compatible with ANYTHING for the sole purpose of the dealer making a profit and their current contract with XM. I can definitely assure you the Portable units are not compatible with the direct connect fully installed units. Now if you get on the phone with XM, you SHOULD be able to link the two radios to the same account for a reduced price, they offer alot of deals and combos for multiple units. I know this isn't the news you wanted, sorry pal, just trying to be helpful.

Drew

3. agent005

agent005 New Member

thanks, im just trying to use their antenna...i have seen where it has been done....i was looking for a specific solution.
    good luck in law enforcement....im on the job 14 years

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If anyone can find a soultion to this, do a wrtiteup and post it up here, I'm sure others would like to read about it as well.

5. Topdogdad1

Topdogdad1 New Member

I'm going to be a mission now and call around to some of my old install buddies, see if maybe they've been updated on a solution to this for you, give me 2 or 3 days to make some phone calls and i'll repost here for you. I'm all about find free answers if i have them, knowledge should be free :)

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Going to keep my eyes on this thread...I want to do this just havent gotten off my butt to do it...

The factory XM tuner is behind the glove box if nothing changed between 07 and 08.
    I was told on another forum all you have to do is trim some excess plastic off the atennna connector to get it to work with a aftermarket HU.

You may be hard pressed to get it to work with a portable unit. I have 2 radios and I tthink its 14 bucks each a month....to be honest i havent looked at the break down of the bill...its like 60 bucks every 3 months.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. identityPRS

identityPRS Rockstar 100 Posts

you can do it!! we do it all the time here at my shop. (on the new ones anyways) the XM module is behind the glove box. just drop the glove box down, you dont even have to remove it. the antenna plug is brown and itll be lookin right at ya! the only thing is, we utalize them on the hide-away xm units for an aftermarked deck. we usually hide them back behind the glove box as well.
    the problem your going to run into using a portable, is the length. we have splice and extended them before with no reception problem, but for my own sake and protection, im gonna tell you to not do that.

you also might have to remove the actual antenna from the brown housing. just be careful. hope this helps! good luck!

8. identityPRS

identityPRS Rockstar 100 Posts

here ya go!!

push up on this tab inside the glove box so it drops down:
    1-1.jpg

HERE SHE IS!!:
    2-1.jpg

9. JoeDaddy

JoeDaddy New Member

XMp3i working with the OEM Chevy antenna
    OR
    Adding OEM Chevy antenna to older car ([FONT=&quot]micro-coax cable)[/FONT]

OEM Shark Fin Antenna & cabling for a 2011 Chevy Camaro (other models may have shorter cables)
    · (1) Antenna: 92239706 $47.00
    · (2) Front Cable: 19118429 $65.00
    · (3) Back Cable: 92229378 $60.00

• XM Car kit: CD-XMPCAR1 $50.00
    · 90 degree SMB Fakra adapter $ ?? (may come as part of the standard XM magnetic antenna)
    · Metra 40-EU1 adaptor $ 11.00 (adapts Std Motorola Male to Micro Coax)

Installing

1. Mount antenna (1) in desired location
    2. Route Back Cable (3) up to where/near the XMp3i radio location
    3. Connect Back & Front cables together
      1. Route XM part of the Front Cable (2) to XMp3i radio (yellow connector)
      2. Route FM part of the Front Cable (2) to car radio (blue connector)
    4. Connect yellow connector of Front Cable (2) to SMB adaptor
      1. Plug SMB adaptor into XM Car Kit base.
    5. Connect blue connector Front Cable (2) to 40-EU1 adaptor (one will be FM and the other OnStar)
    6. [FONT=&quot]Plug 40-EU1 into Car radio[/FONT]
    XM Chevy Antenna.jpg XM Antenna 90deg adaptor.jpg Cable Illustration.jpg

10. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, so I am going to do this in the next week....the wire is definately to short to reach the pioneer XM brain - which is to the right of the head unit kinda stuffed in between the vent and glove box.

Can I cut the XM wire to the magnetic antenna and splice it to the one you have pictured...and what kinda wire is it..... can i use a wire tap?

If I screw it up the worst thing is I have to run a new antenna...so I wont be mad at you!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011