I wish gas stations around here made this mistake...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Guest, May 11, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow! That brings up all sort of ethical issues, etc.

On one hand, it's a fair chunk of change for a business to lose. However, every state has truth in advertising laws. A business can be fined if they start posting the wrong price on a sign and then charging something else.

On the other hand is the fact that people and businesses can and do make mistakes from time to time (not me though :D ). It's not the gas station owner's fault that one of his employees screwed up.

THEN, the owner of this gas station is a marketing MORON! He has people all across the country talking about HIS gas station. Make a marketing pitch out of it. Go on the local news (maybe it will be picked up nationally) and play it off as a cost of doing business. Then promote your gas station and say that maybe you'll do another "free gas" giveaway from time to time as a thank you for all of the great customers that you've had over the years. Make a HUGE positive out of it. He would probably make 10X what he lost.

3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It was on my local news here in Maine a few days ago.

I don’t know who it is that sets the pumps prices but in that they are all done inside on the computer I bet someone is getting canned.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, probably. Job opening!