1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I.y.o. What year motor rocks.. All welcome

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by azdrtdog, Nov 10, 2009.

1. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member

just give me a why and any mech. issues that might have been issues and how much after market. REALLY GUYS???? NOT one of you have given yor opinion. I put this up yesterday and am now editing.. I.M.O ford **** the bed when they got rid of the 7.3 that is a war horse of a motor but I'm not going to rape me hoe and put one in it.I know the enemic 6.2 that chevy put im my year truck is not worth the time so is the 6.6 the only next choice did they improve it on a year like dodge and there 24 valve help me out i'm just a rev happy gasser looking for the next great challenge
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. blackmax1963

blackmax1963 New Member

2006 totally stock in my opinion the best year up to 2005 they still had issues the newer ones I hear everyone is saying no good.The only problems were and probably still are leaking tranny cooloing lines(replaced 4 times still leak),bad steering shaftsreplaced 2 times still sucks,the damn lights on the steering wheel buttons they are forever going out going to change out to leds.Best motor&tranny out there.The new body style is uglier than hell looks like a girls truck IMHO.Need a ford truck with chevy motor and tranny.
  3. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

imo best diesel out there in a pickup was a 7.3 Powerstroke, but the government ruined that for ford, to date if i was buying a diesel truck brand new it would be a 6.6 hands down.
  4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

To me the best is the one and only 6.6l Duramax. Hes right, the '06 and newer are the best. They are the most reliable and make awesome power. Ive driven 12 valve and 24 valve cummins, 7.3 powerstrokes, and Duramax's. A Duramax with an Allison tranny are impossible to beat.
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member

Thanks for the input I think the 6.6 is a great motor,But there are a lot of electronics that will need to be hooked up. I,m really thinking this would be a mother of all projects for me because I like it all to work factory and I'm not thinking pulling into the ODB2 lane at emissions is going to fly when it cackling like a diesel.Anybody ever researched the smog laws on diesel conversions? I don't think they allow it in AZ.
  6. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Not sure about AZ..... but in CA there rules are the engine has to be newer than the vehicle it is going in..... I read that in someone's diesel conversion write-up that researched all that before they did it. IIRC they then re-registered it as a diesel vehicle.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like mentioned before, the 06 and newer Duramax (LBZ, LMM) are the most powerfull and have the other issues worked out from the earlier generations (LB7, LLY)