1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iam hot as hell and i cant take it anymore !

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tractordrivindan, Jun 21, 2011.

1. tractordrivindan

tractordrivindan New Member

i have a 1991 3/4 ton, 454 . i have owned it new, it gets so hot that you can't lean on the fender without burning yourself, ian thinking about ceramic coated headers along with a cowl scoop on the hood to exit some of the heat. am i chasing the wrong dog.:grrrrrr:
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. Has this been a problem since new? If so then I'd say your on the right track trying to get the hot air from under the hood. I assume the engines not overheating.
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is weird. I haven't heard of anyone with this problem. If your truck isn't overheating then yeah those sound like two good options! Does it even do it when its cool out?
  4. tractordrivindan

since it was new, runs at 210 deg. , so hot it swells the starter up so it wont turnover ( the starter that is) if you pour water over it (to cool it) you will be able to start it in about 20 min. i think i fixed that with a hi tork gear drive starter. it gives more clearance between the block and starter for a little more air ( i think ) have not had that problem since. i can not find headers that fit that tight engine compartment. do you have any sugestions. thanks

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

by the way did i mention my name is murphy as in murphy's law. if its going to happen ,its going to happen to me ! damn it.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

i dont remember, if it does then the cool air helps. i live in so. cal so we get some cool weather now and them, no to be bragging sorry. >.<
  5. McMahan

McMahan New Member 100 Posts

Very strange, anything you can do to let heat escape from the engine will help, plus heat robs horse power. The 454 is a big engine and being in a small space its gonna get hot. There has to be a way to keep it cooler, get some C02 and spray on it lol
  6. tractordrivindan

maybe the bottle under the seat may help me to forgetabouit. >.<
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 91 Suburban with the 350 gets really hot after the engine's been running a short while. It's hell to try to stand anywhere around the engine compartment when the engine's running and the hood's up. The fenders get really hot too. I guess it's just the nature of this bodystyle of truck. I've also been thinking about how I can try to cut the heat down in the engine compartment. Luckily, I haven't had any starter issues like you.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would wrap the starter with a heat shield, theres several aftermarket companies that make them. Jegs and Summit sells them.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Another pretty cheap mod may be a lower temp thermastat. If it opens sooner you may be able to keep the coolant a few degrees cooler.
  10. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The rear cowl will help a lot with getting the hot exhaust air out. I thought about putting louvers in my hood above the headers, but didn't want to deal with water running in when it rains, so I'm thinking about some side fender vents like the Buick Grand Nationals had.
    As far as your starter heat soak problem: I've had mixed results with the starter wraps. They tend to keep the heat in the starter after a certain amount of running time. We found that a metal deflector shield works better because it leaves an air space around the starter for some air circulation. Also saw a field expedience repair where a guy just ran a small piece of flex hose (attached with a couple zip ties) that scooped fresh cool air from under the truck & aimed it at the starter.