1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Idea for my offroad lights but not sure if it will work

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MD4x4 Fireman, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have 4 of the round chrome plated offroad lights like the ones you can get from summit racing. They were given to me by a friend who had them sitting in her barn and out in the weather for a while so they got all rusty looking. I am going for the all black accessories for my truck. Here is the million dollar question, will truck bed coating or truck under coating stick to them if i rough them up REALLY good? So far I have gotten 2 answers. If so then that will be my weekend project, if not then I will have to buy new lights and thosewill sit in a box.
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would think so. And its still cheaper than new lights right?:great:
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say definately. If it will stick to a bed, it should stick to a roughed up surface.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Give it a try. The worst case scnario is it works for a year or so.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cant remember who makes it but there is an inhibitor that you can spray on chrome that will make it more adhesive for paint and what not
  6. MD4x4 Fireman

I am gonna have to look for it. Thanks for the info guys, I should be able to coat them this weekend. Once I do ill post up some pics.
  7. Snifford

Snifford New Member

What kind of liner are you gona use?
  8. MD4x4 Fireman

Not sure yet as far as a brand, gotta see what my local advance auto has. The project has been put on hold due to the cold weather and lack of heat in my dads garage.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have never seen the lights done, but I know that it can be. I saw a truck at Summit Truckfest with a chrome roll bar that had gotten rusty, and the guy sprayed over the entire bar with the Rhino liner. I asked the guy about it and he said he had only had it on there for a year, but it looked really good. One suggestion though, I wouldn't do the bases of the lights because some of those lights have rubber gaskets and some of that lining will eat rubber gaskets. FYI.............TRPLXL2