Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ideas to increase MPG

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BigJones105, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BigJones105

BigJones105 New Member

My 10' Silverado with the 5.3L averages 14.6 mph. I have a dual exhaust and cold air intake. I also have a tonneu cover. I usually keep the tire PSI one or two above recommendation. Are there any types of Gas fuel programmers that would help. I've read reviews on several and there are some people that have great success with that and some that say they eat more gas.

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do you have stock tires? How heavy is your right foot? With my lift and nittos weighing 74lbs each I am getting 15.50mpg.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

All of these are solid questions, especially the one pertaining to the weight of your foot. If you hit it off the line to get up to speed instead of easing your way there you're going to guzzle some gas. That said, a Diablosport programmer and custom tune WILL help you. I got ~2.5mpg back ... but understand it's mpg that I lost due to lift + big tires.

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 auto set up like many of you and I am running 285-50-20s and a Edge CS programer as well as K&N intake and Magnaflow single exhaust. I do not have a heavy foot and I use the cruise every time I get a chance, also I run the speed limit to maybe 5 over. I also run my Edge programer on the economy setting. I am getting 17 around town and 19 on the highway consistently. And that is checking the miles between fill-ups and dividing the gallons into the miles. My truck is 2 wheel drive also and that helps. 4X4's always use more gas. Just a note, I do live in the sticks so my around town is not constant stop and go as it would be in the city.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

All the above listed are valid. I would also add that any additional weight that is carried in the truck will hurt fuel mileage. If you have a tool box full of tools in the bed will lower your fuel economy also. The style of tire will also effect it. If you have M/T's instead of A/T's it will lower your fuel economy.

6. BigJones105

BigJones105 New Member

Thanks, yea I still have the original stock tires that came on the truck and relatively easy on the pedal. Most of my driving is "city" persay but there is highway in there too. It seems that after I added my full cold air intake and dual exhaust it messed with the truck. Certain rpms seem very sluggish as the truck might be getting too much air and then certain rpms the truck really has some juice.

7. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

What's the difference in milage before/after the upgrades? My truck is still bone stock and I've averaged 17.6 MPG driving 50/50 highway/city. I keep my foot out of it and the truck is empty except for a back pack and uniforms. If you check with some people, you'll see that a lot of them sometimes get worse MPGs with the addition of a CAI. Plus, if your exhaust is larger than about 2.75, that could affect power and economy.

8. silverZ71

silverZ71 New Member

protip: Drive with cruse control; coast to stops.
    But if you want to get a tuner I suggest a Diablo Sport with tune by Diablew aka 06MonteSS