1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Idiot of the Year Award

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Where do I go to apply? :grrrrrr:

Today I've been working on replacing the water pump on the Suburban. I'm almost done with the project and strip out a hose clamp. Minor inconvenience and annoying, but I'll live. I drive 30 minutes into town, get 2 hose clamps, and 30 minutes back and proceed to put the original hose clamp back on the truck and didn't realize it until I had put it entirely back together and heated the engine up. So, now I need to wait a couple hours, pull the truck back apart partially, and put the new hose clamp in.

Just another thing to put my trip in jeopardy...
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

Its ok, Obama is constantly putting on the wrong clamp, you only did it once and learned from it.
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

rofl! At least you didn't do an oil change and accidentally re install the old filter!

Or how about pulling bell housing bolts and forgetting about one and pulling the engine with an 8ton ram on the hoist... I didn't have a clue until it was too late as the hoist didn't even try to hesitate...
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member

Don't feel bad. The last time I replaced a hose on my '99 Sub, the bottom one, it fit really tight and I had to struggle the pump end on one handed with a bad grip position. I was stretched over the fender for way too long, because I just didn't feel like getting the ramps out. This got me in a hurry state of mind, I guess.

When I finally got the hose on, I made a quick approving inspection of my masterful mechanical work, and then proceeded to refill the system. I got in the truck to start it with the cap off to see if the level dropped while air escaped. Just as the engine started, I caught a glimpse of the bubble pack with my two brand new hose clamps still in it, and not on the hose. The old clamps were on the old hose, laying in the driveway.

The pack was sitting on the top of the fan shroud, slightly hanging over the edge on the fan side. I watched paralyzed as the fan breeze caught it, and flipped it into the air an inch or two. The bubble pack dropped straight down into the fan, of course. The blades launched the pack into my neighbors bamboo patch just as I moved the key to OFF. To this day, two years later, I still haven't found it.

Luckily, my wife was home, so I took her car down to the NAPA store for more clamps. Before I left, I replaced the radiator cap, which I should not have done. While I was gone, the residual heat I had generated in the engine just running it for about 2 minutes, apparently created enough pressure to dump a 3 foot wide puddle of coolant out on the driveway that escaped through the unclamped hose ends.

Needless to say, I did the old un-thread the clamps all the way trick to get them on the hose I was not about to pull back off.
  5. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Sorry and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your post made me laugh. Especially the two years later part. :) I don't know why but probably because that's something that I would do...
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member

No sweat. You're supposed to laugh.