1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Idle Control

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by bradyjames, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

I am on a quest to help the groundskeeper at my school (UC Riverside) fix his 1988 Chevy C1500 5.7 liter V8 w/ a manual transmission.

Truck starts up fine. During the first ten minutes when you step on the accelerator, the idle surges as expected, but then it takes a while for it to settle back down before you can hear a normal idle speed. What should I be looking at? I jumped the computer with a paper clip and no codes flashed. The shift light for the transmission lit up, but according to the owner, he has had no transmission issues.

Any help or direction is much appreciated.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Brady, do you know if that engine has a carb, or uses throttle body injection?

Either way, the throttle linkage may need some lub.
  3. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

Hi Ray. It has a throttle body injection. Is there a specific lube I should use or will some WD40 do the trick?
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Brady, do you know if it uses mechanical linkages between the gas pedal and the tbi (I think it does).

I'm guessing the linkage is just slow to return to idle, it could be a little rust, it might be a weak spring. I think WD40 will work for ya. I don't like to have the engine running when I'm spraying WD40, just incase it gets sucked into the engine. Spray the linkage with the engine off. Also, look at the gas pedal hinge, it might be rusty as well.
  5. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

Thanks Ray. I will give it a try and post back soon.