1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

idler and pitman keep going out on my 04 z71

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by usetaboost, Apr 20, 2012.

1. usetaboost

usetaboost Rockstar

I replaced both 3 yrs ago and have barely put 15k on the truck since then. I don't do any off roading with it and is 3/4 highway driven. I do have a set of 20s that I put on during the summer but I doubt the bigger wheels could be causing it. What brand or fix is everyone using? THese parts are kinda spendy at 100 bucks a pop. I'd like to do it once and be done with it.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

From what I understand, that is not all that uncommon. Is the diameter (height) of your tire bigger than stock? Are they a lot wider? and the big one... Do you keep your suspension parts lubricated like you should?
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

What moogvo just said. Plus what brand did you replace them with (aftermarket or stock with warranty). Look into heavy duty aftermarket ones. NAPA usually has a couple different lines with, of course the most expensive, being a lot beefier than stock. Moog is also another quality heavy duty suspension parts.

http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalo...k=Keyword&Nty=1&N=599001 102004 50014 2014023

http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalo...k=Keyword&Nty=1&N=599001 102004 50014 2014023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Absolutely! :great:
  5. usetaboost

usetaboost Rockstar

Yeah I usually grease the front end every other oil change. If I go with moog parts next time will this solve the problem? I could do a lot of other stuff with 200 bucks so I don't wanna have to do it again in another 2 yrs. The 20s are same size as the GM 20s
  6. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

Your 04 didnt come stock with 20's though. On 99 to 07 classics the idler and pitman get worn prematurely buy putting annything bigger than stock wheels or tires, more so seen from 20's and up. I wouldnt go with napa parts, they arent as good as they used to be and are overpriced for the quality of part you get. Moog or raybestos make good chasis parts and both have heavy duty upgrades. You should be greasing your steering components at least every oil change. They cant get enough grease. Try searchingh online too because there are other brands that have made chassis parts that are upgraded for lifting and 4bying these trucks
  7. usetaboost

usetaboost Rockstar

ok thanks for the advice and I'll look into it.
  8. Brad Preece

Brad Preece New Member

Alot of the newer ones with 20s come with a rack and pinion. The truck you have isn't designed for that much resistance when turning. You might not think its alot on those parts, but it will and has shown its too much as far as longevity is concerned.