Idler Pulley and tensioner pulley replacement

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by collinsperformance, Jan 4, 2008.

1. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i had a bad squeek from under the hood when it is cold or at different times. i was able to track down the bad part the pulleys. here are the stock plastic pulleys.
    [​IMG]
    there is one below and one to the right of the ac compressor.
    here is a better view of them
    [​IMG]
    here are the replacement pulleys. i go the steel upgrades for a couple dollars more. these were NAPA part number 38001 and 38006.
    [​IMG]
    i removed the serp belt and set aside. i used a 15mm wrench to remove the idler pulley. you can see the old and new pulley.
    [​IMG]

2. collinsperformance

here is the back side of the pulley. the old and the new.
    [​IMG]

you can see how the system works. the bolt goes thru the pulley then the spacer and then the o-ring.

[​IMG]

i cleaned the bolt threads and spacer and then added a small amount of anti seize so i could replace the parts if needed
    [​IMG]
    the belt tensioner pulley is a different setup. the threads are left handed so you got to go the opposite way to remove the bolt. here is the old and new pulley
    [​IMG]

3. collinsperformance

here is the back side of the pulleys
    [​IMG]
    here is how the bolt goes on the tensioner
    [​IMG]
    i cleaned the parts off on the wirewheel. here they get a small dab of anti seize
    [​IMG]
    here is the installed picture
    [​IMG]
    if this was all you needed to do then you install the serp belt after inspecting it and replacing if needed. i needed to swap the P/S pump so i do not have a completed shot here.
    Mike

4. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Awsome write up on this ! ...

we should have a "to do" forums section so when someone has this problem in the future they dont need to be searching for the thing :)

5. collinsperformance

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

In general that's not a bad way of handling it. We have enough on here as is that could be "copied" into such a forum. I might consider adding that after we move to the new server.

Chevy Truck Parts

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

+1 on the dedicated how-to forum. I want to say I've suggested it before, but I can't recall. Regardless, we need one here :party: