1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Idler Pulley and tensioner pulley replacement

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by collinsperformance, Jan 4, 2008.

1. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i had a bad squeek from under the hood when it is cold or at different times. i was able to track down the bad part the pulleys. here are the stock plastic pulleys.
    [​IMG]
    there is one below and one to the right of the ac compressor.
    here is a better view of them
    [​IMG]
    here are the replacement pulleys. i go the steel upgrades for a couple dollars more. these were NAPA part number 38001 and 38006.
    [​IMG]
    i removed the serp belt and set aside. i used a 15mm wrench to remove the idler pulley. you can see the old and new pulley.
    [​IMG]
  2. collinsperformance

here is the back side of the pulley. the old and the new.
    [​IMG]

you can see how the system works. the bolt goes thru the pulley then the spacer and then the o-ring.

[​IMG]

i cleaned the bolt threads and spacer and then added a small amount of anti seize so i could replace the parts if needed
    [​IMG]
    the belt tensioner pulley is a different setup. the threads are left handed so you got to go the opposite way to remove the bolt. here is the old and new pulley
    [​IMG]
  3. collinsperformance

here is the back side of the pulleys
    [​IMG]
    here is how the bolt goes on the tensioner
    [​IMG]
    i cleaned the parts off on the wirewheel. here they get a small dab of anti seize
    [​IMG]
    here is the installed picture
    [​IMG]
    if this was all you needed to do then you install the serp belt after inspecting it and replacing if needed. i needed to swap the P/S pump so i do not have a completed shot here.
    Mike
  4. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Awsome write up on this ! ...

we should have a "to do" forums section so when someone has this problem in the future they dont need to be searching for the thing :)
  5. collinsperformance

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

In general that's not a bad way of handling it. We have enough on here as is that could be "copied" into such a forum. I might consider adding that after we move to the new server.

Chevy Truck Parts
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

+1 on the dedicated how-to forum. I want to say I've suggested it before, but I can't recall. Regardless, we need one here :party: