1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

idles but thats it..

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cjk04, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cjk04

cjk04 New Member

I'm a newbie here and in need of some advice. I'm at wits end. I have a '94 K1500 that I've had since '97 and have done all the work on her that she ever needed. (So far.) Over the past few days it began so "slow down." I mean I needed to give it more throttle to get up to speed. I noticed the throttle body giving the "throaty sound" just coming up to cruising speed on the freeway. Then it happened. Full throttle gets me 50mph on a good day. It was time for a tune up so I threw the norm: Plugs, Wires, Cap , Rotor, and PCV. All Delco parts. She'll idle but as soon as those butterflies open it wants to misfire. I had an issue with the TPS before so I bought one just for kicks. (AC as well.) No luck. So far I've checked temperatures on exhaust manifolds as well as the cat to see if it's plugged. Temps looks normal. It appears to have enough fuel but I haven't yet put a gauge to the pump. Does anybody have any ideas to throw in the mix? What's confusing is that it idles smooth. Doesn't shake, doesn't miss, just smooth. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

You asked for ideas... Check for a clogged fuel filter yet? Maybe even the fuel pump? Possibly a hole in a fuel line?
  3. cjk04

cjk04 New Member

Changed the fuel filter and also found I don't have enough fittings to hook up my pressure gauge. (yet) Pump is running but will have to check pressure. I thought they either worked or they didn't.
  4. chevyracingss

chevyracingss New Member

if the truck idles fine on a cold start, theoretically speaking, your pressure should be decent. not perfect, or fine, but decent. usually bad fuel pressure would cause a cold start to sputter or "miss". even though you replaced the tps, make sure it still works. using a multimeter, check resistence at no throttle, 1/4 throttle 1/2 throttle and so on to full throttle. the resistence values should change. also turn the key on a check that there is voltage going to the TPS. i want to say that it should be between 1.5 and 2 volts, but not for sure. double check the voltage values before taking my word for it.
  5. mthomas

mthomas Rockstar

Timing?[ I put this in cause they said my message was to short]