Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Idling low

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 62930-03, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

2003 Silverado 4.8

When cold it is idling at about 800-900rpm as it should.

Once it warms up it drops down to 400-500rpm anytime you are stopped.

If in gear it want's to die.

The check engine light is not on.

Any idea's what is causing this ????????????

TIA

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How many miles on her? Have you tried all of the simple stuff like check the fuel filter, air filter, etc? You may have some carbon build-up, I'd try something like a good fuel system cleaner too. That's all step-1 and lets you start to rule stuff out.

After that, I would take a look at the throttle body and check for gunk and clean it out. You can do that whole job in an hour for $15 or less.

3. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

Has about 65K on it.

I changed the air filter about 2 weeks ago but haven't checked the other stuff you have listed.

4. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

Cleaning the throttle body did the trick.

5. jerm1978

jerm1978 New Member

My truck was doing the same thing. For me it turned out I just needed to clean and tighten the battery cables. Might try that.