Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

if an rpo code comes back showing that original motor was diesel would...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 80 grit, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 80 grit

80 grit Rockstar

...an existing tailgate "fuel injection" trim piece be correct on a 1989 suburban?? The original motor is no longer present. It has a 350 in it. Now I will try to discover where the motor came from that is in it now. thanks!

Also,

can anyone direct me to the best website to by body panels for my 89 burb? What I am wanting to put in my "wish basket" is a rocker panel/rear quarters for both sides. Do these come as one unit? or wold I need to buy them seperate? Thanks in advance for your guidance! edit: I found one company called ccg trucks...but if you know of any others...thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I personaly like LMCTruck.com for any parts !!!!

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

+1 for LMC Trucks. Provided that the tag with the RPO codes is the original tag for the vehicle with its VIN number on it, it should have had a diesel. The fuel injection labeling I think is incorrect, but it might not be. The 6.2L diesel has fuel injectors, but I think it was usually labeled on the tailgate as "6.2L Diesel", or "6.2L fuel injected diesel". My memory's failing on me on the exact terminology, but I'm pretty sure just "fuel injection" referred to the TBI 350s and 454s.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x3 on lmc truck! Quality parts and good shipping times.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow, it is a lot of work to switch from a diesel to a spark motor- or the other way around. Probably with GMs of that vintage going to the spark motor was easier.

The really early Suburban diesels-350's- in the early 80's had plenty of problems, so no surprise that one of them would have been switched out.
    By the late 80's the diesel motor was much more reliable, so I'm surprised they changed it.
    Unless they just wore it out in which case it would be cheaper to replace it with a 350 spark motor with wiring harness ECU from a junk yard.
    Did you actually check the glove box code and it indicates the diesel?
    Charlie

6. 80 grit

80 grit Rockstar

Thanks for the LMC tip guys. I did use them for stuff on my 86 pickup.

Charlie,

The vin # matches the glove box rpo sticker vin #. It reads as either Lc5 or Lg5 (it is slightly faded). One is a four banger, the other is a six cylinder diesel 7.2. Also, my truck is a 1500. Did the 1500 come with the diesel option? I suppose I will discover more after I take possession of it. If anyone knows of any "clues" that might help figure out what motor it originally had (perhaps there is another rpo code that should coincide with the diesel motor code, etc.)???? Thanks.

Joe