1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If GM went to all models with a diesel option available? would you buy one?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by murdog94, Mar 9, 2011.

?

IF GM Offered a diesel in every model would you buy one?

1. YES, Make it now.

35 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. NO, they are smelly

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not Sure.

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah...I voted the same way. I selfishly really don't care about the car option but definitely SUVs and trucks!!
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bet they can put a properly tuned D-max in a Tahoe and it would kill the mpg numbers that the hybird gets.

Mike, tell the truth! You think they are smelly.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Well the thing is they could lop off 2 cyls and 2 or 3 liters and make is a 3.6L or 4.6L V-6 Dmax and get stellar numbers and great power with the MPG advantage.
  4. mfleetwood

Only when I breathe through my nose!
  5. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

I would absolutely love a TD Corvette! Think about it...Great mileage, and hellacious powerband. Gimme one!
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Not enough options in the poll so I didn't vote. I would buy a little kick me jogging shoe style of car for MPG only, but with diesel being $4.00 a gallon & this countries energy policy being stuck on "no drilling" & bowing down to the middle eastern terrorists for our oil, it would have to get 50+ MPG.
  7. mfleetwood

Just vote you big baby!
  8. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

You keep givin me the business, & I'm gonna tell everybody your wifes pet name for you :)
    Heck I might even start a thread for it just to be sure everybody sees it ha ha ha
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Yes,I would buy one.
    Europeans, Asia,SA all have those little 4 cyl diesels we don't have.
    Our EPA regs are a bit more stringent, and the Europeans actually have some sort of benefit that actually favors diesel-I think it is cheaper than gasoline in Europe(not 1005 sure on that, but there regs actually favor diesels).

The downside
    1)TD in the USA would be more expensive than small gasoline motors- at least $1500 more- lotta EPA regs, plus turbo and fancier fuel injection system are expensive.
    2)TD give up a little of their mpg advantage in the USA by having to blow raw fuel into the exhaust to burn soot particles in the soot trap. There is a mechanical sort of filter in the exhaust to "catch soot"- it has to be cleared every so often(so it doesn't plug up exhaust- the way it is currently cleared is to burn the soot by blowing in fuel(and O2 from CC- diesels run very lean so plenty of O2 left unused). On the big motors this isn't a big deal-though some folks clain their 2007 Duramax isn't as FE as earlier Duramax.The newest Ford Powerstroke does- by many accounts- get better FE than older models of Powerstrokes.
    3) In pure city driving the Prius beats TDs- it beats those Euro TDs- beats the VW TDs.

In pure hy the Prius BEATS the VWs TD we have here.This has nothing to do with it being a hybrid- it is because it is aero cleaner- lower CD +lower frontal area- it has a tiny bit t do with it being a "5 stroke"- which is just a fancy way of saying it has 13/1 exhaust expansion ratio (extracts more usable energy) but effectively 8/1 compression ratio(by leaving intake open longer and pushing intake charge back out of cylinder so it doesn't have 13/1 compression to do work on.
    Some- many- of the Euro and Asian small car TDs will beat a Prius in HY mpg- by maybe 5 mpg or so- maybe even 10 mpg more(50 mpg vs 60 mpg at 65 mph). GM makes a Zafira(Vaxhall I think)- mini minivan- gets about 50 mpg hy holds 6 people- it is a little 4cyl TD.
    Another downside-GMs own Cruze- one of them- is EPA rated 42 mpg- this means it get AN HONEST 50 MPG AT A STEADY 62-65 MPH!!! It sells for $17,000!! Yes a 4 cyl TD would get maybe 5-10 mpg more, but diesel is about 15% more expensive and would cost $2000 more to buy?? Yes, the TD will beat it by maybe 30% in city FE- but once again we pay a 15-20% diesel premium for fuel, and $2000 for the TD itself??

Spark motors and hybrids are so good, so cheap that it will be tough to justify paying more for a diesel car.

Oh the "Prius worse for environment than Hummer" is completely incorrect. It is an often repeated lie (no not calling the OP a liar calling the shills that wrote the "Dust to Dust" "study" liars).It is mainly based on a lie about the nickle in the Prius battery packs.The entire pack weighs just 90 lbs- lotta that is plastic and other "stuff"- All that nickle is recyclable- easily recyclable- it is valuable, so it is recycled.Do you really think the material in a Prius- 3000 lbs is that different from the materials in a Hummer(5500 lbs+)- only difference is a bit more nickle and rare earth metals( easily recyclable since it is expensive)(plenty of nickle in Hummers- steel etc- but much more steel and aluminum and plastic in Hummers)
    Small 4 cyl TDs get great mpg, but little spark motored cars are cheaper to buy, and hybrids still beat them in overall MPG. Hybrid diesels- really expensive- but they do add some to fuel economy- are some in the works in Europe.2 more Hybrids- like GMs 2 mode-can get spectacular city and Hy FE- no hy hybrid disadvantage like Toyota's HSD system- but more expensive.Toyota's HSD system has an inherent hy disadvantage because it "requires" some mechanical electrical mechanical energy transfer instead of just using all mechanical energy for ICE to drive the wheels.It requires that the electric motors do some work at hy speeds.Faster you go more of this inefficient mode.This is the whole point of GMs 2 mode hy- you can drive the wheels at Hy speeds without making extra electrical energy.chemical>mechanical not chemical> electrical> mechanical.
    GM's system(developed with some Europeans- maybe BMW or MB) can actually tow(this is why Toyota doesn't have Hybrid pickups the HSD system has proven hard to scale up for pickups that tow).
    GMs system is very good- BUT VERY EXPENSIVE. With more expensive fuel- maybe $6/gal it will make more sense(GM charges about $7000 more to buy it).They -GM- can easily adapt it to diesel- it came from that technology I think (hybrid buses )
    Yeah GM might eventually do OK with their hybrid electrical cars- (Volt)- and Hybrids and Diesel pickups/ maybe diesel SUVs again .They will take a short term hit- in 1/2 ton sales of pickups and SUVs- with higher fuel prices- but they are in better shape than they were in 2008.
    The Volt won't make much money, but it is just first of a family of cars that will get us off foreign energy(foreign oil).Well use home made electricity from coal and wind- for much of our personal transportation needs- and home pumped oil for our liquid fuel- some home drilled natural gas also.
    Battery packs will get cheaper-Volts BP cost GM about $10,000 now - it will be maybe 1/3 that "someday".
    Yeah,I'm a full on MPG nut- 1998 1/2 ton Suburban(215,700 miles- 21,000 mine last 4 years) 2006 Prius. GM trucks response very very well to motor on trans in D Pulse and Glide(mpg technique for city driving).Some more extreme hypermilers do motor off glides- it is kinda crazy, but each to his own.With motor on pulse and glide a 2007 and later Suburban can get 20 mpg in city trips once the motor is warmed up.Mine(5.7 2wd) gets 18 mpg once warm.
    Charlie

PS For actual WORK PICKUPS SUVs that tow - TDs have a HUGE MPG advantage-no question about that- better mpg and better tow acceleration.Of course GMs small blocks spark motors are very good and much cheaper to buy and maintain , so..... you have to "do the math" when deciding what to buy.If you tow heavy and often-TD is it- unless you are an extreme cheapskate, and don't do the towing yourself.Still Hard to beat a SBC for overall "goodness cheapness to maintain."
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

You do know that you can run VEGGIE OIL in a diesel ???