1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If GM went to all models with a diesel option available? would you buy one?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by murdog94, Mar 9, 2011.

?

IF GM Offered a diesel in every model would you buy one?

1. YES, Make it now.

35 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. NO, they are smelly

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not Sure.

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I put yes but, would depend on the cost of the motor as well as fuel cost, but I do like the little deisels in cars. even a 6 cyl dmax in a 1500 would be nice. I am a drill here drill now kinda guy but until that happens (who knows if we will grow a sack and actually do it), diesel is still way to expensive.
  2. JonTiffany1

JonTiffany1 New Member

I say yes, theres obviously a ton of people out there who want a good diesel-fuel automobile, and they either go for a v-dub jetta tdi or a sierra/silverado with the trusty duramax diesel engine. v-dub doesnt have any large trucks to stuff a diesel into, so theyre stuck with putting them in their midsize sedans. gm has had a diesel engine available in almost every model year truck, and, to be quite frank, experimented with diesels in full size vehicles. case in point: my old 1983 buick electra park avenue. it had a lovely 5.7L diesel engine that was gone before it could be fully cherished *sad moment* anyway, so to answer the question, i say yes to buying any given gm model automobile if it came with a diesel (turbo diesel, :p)
  3. davemight

davemight New Member

Diesels are great but I can't stand the racket, or the smell. and these days, don't need one.
  4. AlpacaSteve

AlpacaSteve New Member

Not yet. With the cost of diesel currently, and unfortunately there is still the smell issue, I think I'd wait for some dramatic improvement. Maybe a true hybrid like a locomotive... Trains have done it for years without all the computer baggage the newer hybrids have.
  5. AlpacaSteve

AlpacaSteve New Member

I know this thread in a year or so old, but the cost of diesel has probably erased any savings over regular gas. I think that a small diesel with a true hybrid is what is really needed.
  6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Ok I put not sure as I have 2 main questions
    1- Is the price going to be reasonable?
    2- What will the reliability be , considering they only service 2500 and above at current?

Personally I would love a Cummins in my Silverado. But for 10 grand more it would be too much for the luxury of a big powerplant.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is an interesting topic. When I was in high school a friend of mine whos dad was some high up at ford had a 1993 tempo with a 3 cylinder diesel. Somehow it was acquired after being built for some sort of testing. He got amazing fuel economy and only had to fill it up once a month. I was told a couple weeks ago that the thing is still running strong. The body is shot but the motor and trans are still great, it has over 350,000 miles on it with no major repairs done. I would definitely be all in for a diesel in a cruze or a yukon xl with a diesel..
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know how diesel jetta's are but I have 5 friends with Jetta's and the minute 1 thing breaks, you might as well total the car cause nothing works after the first break down.

And the local dealers typically refuse to work on them for some strange reason.

I would love a 4.4 or 4.8L v8 turbo diesel in my 1500 with a 6 speed allison transmission.
  9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I'd like to see a diesel in a 1500 again. Fuel cost is sky high though.
  10. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

As others have said on the thread, I would buy one if the cost was somewhat reasonable. Diesel is more powerful and fuel efficient and I think that it would eventually pay for itself in the long run.

I do know that Chrysler has a turbo diesel Ram 1500 in the works.... better get on it GM. Sounds enticing.