1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

If you are worried gas mileage.....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 07XCSB, May 3, 2012.

1. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to complain about not getting great mileage on these things. I also don't see it as directly hypocritical because because he's not complaining about people complaining in general.

All of that being said, I also understand why people try to get all the mileage they can. I get about 15 average which I'm fine with. I bought my truck to enjoy what I drive. I wouldn't enjoy driving a sub-compact.

I do also agree with Surreal. The thread is amusing. Besides, it's in the right section for general rants.

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Oh for a perfect world we live in. Sadly I got better mileage with my '86 Burb( 350 4bbl) than I do with my 2010 Silverado(5.3 fuel injected fuel mizer)
    With the Burb carb adjustments and the like were easy to change for altitude differences but now a computer does it and I am not so sure thee computer is coming up with the correct calculations. I average 17.4MPG on my Silverado

3. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If you are worried about gas mileage and want a fullsize truck just buy a diesel. Doesn't burn gas, problem solved. :na:

4. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I made 25.9 mpg's on my last tank. Not bad for a 4.3L, 5 speed and with mods during cold weather and not fully switched over to the summer blend.

5. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Gas prices were high when I decided to get my truck. The dealer told me gas prices were going to drop $2-2.10 a gal. He lied. I was taken. :grrrrrr:
    I’m just kidding;:rofl: I know what I was getting into. I don’t complain at all about gas price. I bought what I bought; I know how much gas were then and know it will go up more and more. I need to get to work so I buy gas.
    It bothers me too about complainers.

6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You guys are looking at it all wrong! Yeah, I have a V6 4x4 '95. It has been able to get 20mpg in the past. Sometimes it gets 15. But my average is 32mpg.

WHAT?! What kind of math is THAT?!

So, assuming that I can safely average 17 in the '95, and my WIFE averages 48 in her beloved Prius, then the FAMILY average is 32.5 with BOTH vehicles being driven half of the time, and since the fuel for BOTH vehicles comes from my income, it makes no difference!

See? Problem solved! I get 32.5mpg on average! (and that's WITHOUT any "Cold Air Intake" swaps, TBI modifications or high flowing exhaust!)

So, in summary, you will get MUCH better fuel economy by putting your wife into a Prius than you ever will from a "Cold Air Intake". ROFLMAO! And if you're single, you're screwed on the fuel economy thing, but you come out MUCH better in the end because you don't have someone helping you spend your money and touching your stereo!

Even my "Penny-pinching" wife who just aced her calculus exam can't argue with the math! LOL!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. Curky

Now that is great. I can’t wait for my fiancé to say something about it again. I can put that in with,” ummm, who pushed me to get a truck.” Don’t get me wrong I wanted one but she was all over me because I was looking at a Wrangler.

8. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

OUTSIDE the box, man... OUTSIDE!

my wife DID try to tell me that I can't claim any mileage from her car. My argument for that was "Mine is paid for, YOURS costs $525.00 per month AND I am making the payments on YOURS anyway... so I CAN and WILL claim it's benefits!" Conversation over. LOL!

9. Curky

Mine will just say OK, whatever but thats funny. Then she will post it on face book.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A better solution is not to have a wife, as you avoid the complaining and explaining that goes with one ... and you can drive something that gets 8mpg if you darn well feel like it (without hearing any grief).