1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you are worried gas mileage.....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 07XCSB, May 3, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

The reality is that the Camry and Corolla get impressive fuel economy numbers and are more affordable than the Prius. I wasn't necessarily doing a comparison shootout between them. If one had good sense, they would forgo the Prius in favor of a gasoline powered compact. the extra costs associated with the hybrid are not worth it in the end.
  2. giorge

giorge New Member

I have a 3500 dually and I don't complain about my mileage, I get any where from 15 to 20 mpg and I don't bitch about the mileage. But I do bitch about the price of diesel. Trade in on a Honda, a Honda won't pull my boat to the lake! Oh wait I do also have a Honda Accord and it won't pull my boat. I haven't tried but it worked my poor Avalanche, so it would probably kill my Honda.

OK now I feel better!
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

LMNBO. good point. Well taken and I am sure that felt good. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol
  4. giorge

giorge New Member

I just couldn't resist! :happy:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

And this gets back to my original assertion ... that car manufacturers diversified and that diversification included investment in oil companies (if they were smart, it did, anyway). So really it's not in their overall best interests to make alternative energy/efficient vehicles affordable, thus, they don't.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Of course they did! They would have been foolish not to. I wrote a blog someplace about cars, oil companies and why Hybrids are a poor excuse at an attempt to convince auto buyers that they are trying to do something about economical cars and the price of fuel. They can't make them "too good" or else they will shoot themselves in the foot... That was pretty much the crux of it.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

That may be a good way to convince my wife I need a tune for the truck:great:. I get close to 12 and I drive nice and easy. but I also bought a commuter because of gas prices.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

And if you have a 401k chances are you may be invested in oil too:gasp: or should be:lol:
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

heck, some european diesels get 50+ with a manual. seems to me some americans need to get over their aversion to diesel. bio diesel is very doable. i think its something that needs to get looked at.

Alex
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

its not just americans aversion to diesel. blame the environmentalists who cant make up their mind on what they want, and a lot of the pollution controls that are mandated in areas decrease mileage. Trust me I know I'm stuck in the communist state of Kalifornia, which went gungho on getting rid of diesel powered cars until just recently.
  10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

Diesel has many advantages and the oil companies jumped on board to increase the cost of diesel fuel. Diesel historically has always been 50 cents cheaper than unleaded and sometimes greater. The movement of truck owners to buy diesel powered trucks for many reason, but fuel savings at the forefront,caught the oil companies eyes and through collusion have made diesel the higher priced fuel as of late.