1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

IFS to Solid Axle Conversion

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Brad Wissinger, May 6, 2013.

1. Ok, new thing I'm looking into is a Solid Axle Swap. I can't seem to find any kits for a 1999 1/2 1500 4wd. Any body know anything about this? I'm just starting to do research about it, so I am looking for info on compatible axles and bracket systems. I already have a 6" rough country NTD lift kit on the truck, but I've had nothing but issues with my IFS and want to swap over to a solid axle. Based on the amount of fabrication work required, I'll probably have it done by a shop, but if I can find an axle, and brackets and everything I need online, I may do it in my garage. I run 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers right now, and any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try googling "solid axle swap kits" for 1988 to 2013 1/2 ton trucks I found over 30 kits.
    Ive used ORU kits before and their probably one of the most complete.
    I suspect sticker shock will slow your project down some, if you have the fab skills to do this job the cheapest Ive seen it done is around $2500, with a shop doing the work expect something in the range of $5000 to $6000.
    Most kits supply brackets, springs, the hardware peices, you need to supply axle and T case.
    The most popular axle used for this swap is the Dana 44 with a left hand drop, found in older Ford and Dodge 1/2 ton trucks, the most popular axle wanted for this swap is the Dana 60 found in older Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton trucks, unfortunately the price of a good Dana 60 is steep which is why most plans get changed.