Ignition coil problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by kliffdog, Jun 24, 2012.

1. kliffdog

kliffdog New Member

Hello to all. I found this forum and am hoping to find some help. I will give you some history so you know exactly where I am.

My father and I got a 1988 Scottsdale 2500 (2x4) for free. It had a seized motor so we replaced the block. (used - from the junk yard)
    Anyway once you get it warmed up, it runs great! hard to start when it is cold. We did some trouble shooting and decided that it had to do with a bad ground. I just cleaned up all of the main grounds. There is a good ground from motor to frame, motor to firewall, motor to battery, and battery to sheet metal. The problem didn't go away so I started to look around for open circuits, etc. I cleaned up a handful, but ran across this one, and have been trying to find where it goes, if it should be hot, etc. with no luck. This wire I assumed was to provide something to the ignition coil but it has been cut. It tests at 12 volts so I am thinking either it is supposed to return power to somewhere or there is another bad ground somewhere causing this to be hot. More than anything I am hoping someone knows where it is supposed to go, and whether it is a ground or hot.

Additional side note: We determined that it is getting gas, and thus must be a spark problem. Also the fuel gauge is reading full, when we know it is not full. Some research tells me that this is a bad ground as well. I wonder if the two things are related. I just am at a loss for where to begin.

photo.jpg photo-1.jpg

2. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

Might be a lead for a tachometer. Not sure, can't remember how the tach hooks up. It's been a while since I've messed with one.

3. kliffdog

kliffdog New Member

Well this model doesn't have a tachometer so I am guessing that isn't the case. Unless they provide this wire in case you want to add an after market tachometer, I guess. More importantly do you think this could be the cause of my problem?

4. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

i looked at my surburb that wire hooks in the big wire loom at the firewall right next to the wires where the wiper moter wires run look in the loom see if that white wire is there.

5. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

Not sure if it's the cause of your problem. I wouldn't be surprised if it was prewired for the tach. If it is, then it is not the cause of your problem. When you changed the block, how well did you clean the intake and throttle body? Did you make sure the timing was correct? Could also be a small vacuum leak. Check the vacuum fitting on the brake booster. I've seen that cause some issues. I haven't had too many Chevy's in that time frame and before that were not cold natured.