Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ignition Sometimes a real pain to turn.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Falcone, May 24, 2009.

1. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

Truck : 1992 GMC Sonoma, 2.8 v6.
    Problem: Sometimes when I goto start my truck I can't turn the ignition and I have to wiggle it around and try pressing in a bit or not pressing, basically its just finiky.

Any help? How hard/costly is it to get a new ignition. I know I'll have to get new keys and such, just wondering on how hard it would be to do myself, or how much from a mechanic.

2. firstkaw

firstkaw New Member

looks like the job pays about an hour $75-100
    cylinder and a couple keys $50-75
    should be $150-200

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cost you under $50 for parts from a junkyard

4. Falcone

hmmm. how do I get keys if I take one from the junkyard? do they keep all the keys onhand?

5. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

The problem might be that your key is worn and not engaging the tumblers properly.That was the case with mine.

6. Falcone

I can't belive I havn't bothered trying that yet. I got a couple spares made as soon as I picked it up as it only came with one key. I'll try that forsure.

7. Falcone

thanks for the help guys, the new key works wonders, but the new doorlock key won't even work on my driver good.. man I love old trucks lol.

8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My truck does the same thing. I just got into a habit of pushing and turning in a specific way that it never stops, as if it was locked.. anymore.

9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Changing the ignition cylinder isn't incredibly hard and would take an hour or so with the proper tools. Basically you pull the steering wheel and lock plate off and there is the bolt holding the ignition cylinder in with a T10 or T15 screw I think. Easy cheesy.