1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ignition stuck in "ON" position

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ct9a, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, I went to the store and when I got there, I couldn't turn the truck off. Obviously I just went home, but I had to pull a fuse to turn the motor off and it seems that I'm going to have to disconnect the battery too if I don't get this figured out.

When I left for the store, I remember that it was hard to shift out of Park, but it went without forcing it. Maybe I broke something? I can't even see how to get to the steering column, do I have to pull the steering wheel?
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's weird. It happened to my jeep once. The ignition was shot and I was using a screwdriver to start it. Well, that only worked for so long. The last little piece that the screwdriver was catching stripped off and It got stuck running with the starter engaged. Even after I pulled the batter cables it was still running.
  3. ct9a

Yeah, disconnecting the battery when it's running shouldn't make a difference. At that point the truck should be running off of alternator power. I'm just worrying how much this is going to cost to fix.

I'm guessing that the ign. cylinder is bad, but I just want to make sure that I didn't possibly break something else. I guess I'll have to pull out the manual to see if it says how to switch it out.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This happened in my Saturn. Turns out some cap on the back of the ignition switch fell off. That somehow kept it from going into the lock position and wouldn't let the key go. Until I could get it in the shop, I manually locked the doors, pulled the fuel injector fuse to turn the car off, and pulled the battery cable when I wasn't driving the car. Worked OK, albeit "ghetto".

EDIT: Switching the ignition cylinder out shouldn't be too hard unless your steering wheel has an airbag. After I figured out how to do it the first time, I'm able to strip my steering column down in probably 30 mins which is going past the point where you take the ignition cylinder out.
  5. ct9a

Do you have to pull the steering wheel to get to it?
  6. ct9a

To answer my own question, yes the steering wheel needs to come off. If doesn't look like a very hard job, I'll probably try this out tomorrow.
  7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool. You should be able to get those at you local parts store and maybe even on a "loan-a-tool" program.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]