Ignition switch ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by brutin, Jan 17, 2009.

1. brutin

brutin New Member

Hello All I Hope you can help me out here...
    My truck is a 1998 CK1500 Z71 4X4 i was driving the other day and everything was A ok tell i parked it in my driveway(thank god) when i went back out i turned the key to start the truck and nothing happend, all i heard was the fuel pump,and i believe the ingnition relay fuse click everytime i tryed to start it.. dash,radio and fans all work even the lights(dim or bright) and they dont bog down when i try and start the truck so I rulled out the starter, thinking i heard the clicking noise under hood i was rulling out the ignition switch? so I jerked the starter and took it at O'REILLY's auto for a test, starter was good but the sellenoid was bad, Ok I thought I found the problem, well I bought the new starter with the new sellinoid on it, brought it back home installed it, now when I Connect the (- ) post on the Battery it wants to start my truck....wth? so now I'm thinking i may have a stuck are bad ignition switch?? And If the switch was the problem do you have to take the steering wheel off and what about the Air bag on wheel? Thank you

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like the switch..

Anyone else??

3. codius68

codius68 New Member

Could be the switch, but is the starter new or a reman. I have had bad remans before that did the same thing. so if it is a reman take it back to the parts store and have them check it.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like the switch, but it isn't under the steering wheel. It is mounted on the column under the dash. The "lock cylinder" is what you put the key in. The "ignition switch" is what sends the current to the solenoid. It is bolted to the column and has a connector with a bunch of wires. They are about $10 -$15. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]