Ignition Timing in 95 Yukon - can't find the wire to unplug

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Smartin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Smartin

Smartin New Member

Everyone says the tan w/black stripe wire is behind the dash on the passenger side. Can someone point out EXACTLY where it is? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. This thing runs like a pig below 2000 RPM, and I really want to eliminate the timing as a problem (or confirm it).

Thanks!

2. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

On my '91
    The wire sits between the engine and the firewall.....and runs along the firewall.
    All inside the engine compartment.

So I assume it is the same for your truck.

3. Smartin

Smartin New Member

From what the manual says, 96 and later are in the engine compartment at the firewall, but 95 is supposed to be behind the dash on the passenger side...so I have pull the glove box out and there are a million wires, but no single wire to disconnect.

4. MightyMax

Are you sure??

Check on the back side of the engine, along the firewall.....should be a black connector that needs to be unplugged.

This is my truck::
    MightyMax_Engine01.jpg

The wire behind the transmission filling tube is the wire you are looking for. This is a '91 Silverado.
    It is the black thing, hanging off the rusted bracket attached to the firewall.

5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

94 and 95 models have it under the dash. I've done the timing on both. It can be a PITA, but you're going to want to look up under the passenger side dash, kind of toward the rear passenger side under there. It's tan with a black stripe and has a simple connector. It'll probably be jumbled up with a bunch of others, but keep looking. It's there.

6. MightyMax

Ah, ok.
    Good to know.

Why GM changed a good thing?? :D

7. Smartin

Smartin New Member

Mission complete. It was taped to the main harness and I couldn't see it.

Timing is set correctly, but is still a pig below 2000 RPM. I'm going to try some 93 octane to see if it makes a difference. It feels like the timing is being retarded at the lower RPM levels, and kicks back up above ~2300 RPM.

8. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is that still the stock motor? how many miles on it?

If you have made any mechanical changes, you may need to tweek the timing a bit.

After I did my rebuild, the base timing is now set 6 degrees above Zero.

9. Smartin

Smartin New Member

I'm assuming it's still bone stock. I just bought it....118k miles.