I'll give you a topic... Discuss

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by KidHauler, Apr 5, 2013.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Towing power add-ons. I tried searching, words too short, or subject too old.

'99 Suburban 3/4t 4x4 350 vortec SCFI 5.7l 4L80e OBS. The only difference, as far as I can tell, in the towing capacity between my truck and the 454 is hp. So if I add a little more, I can pull a little more - easily.

-I want towing power, when I want it - and at least the economy I get now. (hand held power programmer)
    (most people who tell me about custom tunes include their 1/4 mi time - it's 7k lbs, not a drag car)

-In the pre-pcm days, 350's got a rv cam and everybody was happy. As far as I can tell, Vortec's don't like new cams.
    (I'll need to reflash, anyway, so I'd do a lot more than just a cam)

-What does anyone know of the marine intake swap? Drill out a couple of bungs and slap on some rtv?
    (sounds good, but at 2-3 grand for the bare intake!? Hello big block!)

-Will the 093 corvette servo for 2-3 shift work in the 4L80e? or is that a 4L60e/700r4 thing?
    (my tranny guy says he's heard of the swap on the 60, but has only changed filters on the 80. The C4 in my Mustang will break your frickin neck, though!)

-Will a Dmax/Alli fit in the frame rails of a '99 Burb
    (yeah, right, I'll post pics...)

Thanks gang,
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

As far as the 4l80e in general, It is already a very strong transmission. They do make an HD-2 valve body reprogramming kit (shift kit), I had that installed in my tow vehicle 05' 2500HD and It made a HUGE difference. You can install it yourself, but you have to have quite a good bit of skill because the valve body has to be drilled in several spots.

As far as the engine, I can't help there...
  3. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Thanks, Amy.
    Yeah, I knew the 80 is pretty tough, I'm just looking for budget friendly bolt ons. I may have to twist my guys arm a little and see if he'll put the kit in.