Illegal Mods

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bob13, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but with all the headlight, tail light, trail light mods out there where do you look to see what is illegal or not. Is it the vehicle code in your state, is it that any mod that is not original equipment is illegal???? I love all the info here on mods but the police in my area can be real ball bust***. Anyone have a difinitive answer?

2. pmpddyd1

pmpddyd1 New Member

in my un-expert understanding of the law, as long as the lights have a Department Of Transportation approval then theyre legal. most of the lights have a number either etched or molded into the plastic for the purpose of showing cops that youre all legal. anything that says "for offroad use only" is not legal to use on the road.

3. 04blackz71

04blackz71 Rockstar 100 Posts

any ting with a dot on it is legal it has to have D.O.T.

4. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

I know in Michigan it is not legal to have more then 4 driving lights. Example, if you have your low beams and fogs on that is all you can have. If you have a a push bar of some kind with lights, even if they are DOT approved, you cannot run those, your fogs, and your lows. But again, every state is different, its kind of like the window tint laws.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Normally what I do before I do anything to the truck is go to the Highway patrol station, they are the strictest judges of aftermarket parts on vehicles. In Ohio we also have the no more than 4 lights at a time on, but that doesn't mean that you can't have them installed and use some of them. I have a total of 10 lights that I can have on my truck at once, but that doesn't mean that I drive around with all of those on at one time! :lol:

Another reason I go to the highway patrol is because you'll get a definitive answer, and not the old "well try them out they should be okay" routine. Basically you are taking matters in your own hands when it comes to aftermarket stuff, it depends on which cop you get that's in a bad mood. :party:

6. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

as long as its got the DOT... or you can check local laws... the vht niteshades for example say its for offroad use only... but here in tx as long as your lights are visible within a certain distance at night and day then youre all set... main thing is to not look for any trouble :glasses: which i TRY to do...

7. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the help everybody!

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This site carries the Pennsylvania state vehicle and driving regulations and laws.
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

Anyone modifying their vehicle should look on line for their particular states vehilce laws and regulations, almost every state has a website listing vehicle and driver regulations and laws ( the do's and dont's of driving).
    All states are required to adhere to Federal DOT standards but may enforce stricter standards than those of the Federal DOT. Trusting an item to be legal because it has DOT approval does not mean it's legal for use in your particular state.
    An example would be HID lights, even though they have DOT approval certain states have outlawed use of them on state controlled highways and roadways. And even though an item may be legal in your particular state the state your visiting may not allow use on their roadways, youre responsible for knowing the laws and regulations even if your just visiting.

1 person likes this.