1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Illegal Mods?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kwconch021, Sep 18, 2010.

1. kwconch021

kwconch021 New Member

Alright guys, I wanna hear everything a cop, meter maid, firefighter, etc has told you about your trucks that are illegal. Im not talking the obvious with super black tails or dark tint. I'm talkin absurd stuff.

I have the flomaster 40 series (cat back, so within state regs) on my 5.3 and was told its illegal by a cop recently after being stopped for my tails, BUT they are aftermarket Hella LED tails, so theyre a lot brighter than your standard tails.

Im curious to hear about different states and what they determine as illegal on our great trucks!

Lets keep it rollin..
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Alright this is a long one. Back in 1996 when my Suburban was new we lifted it 6" and installed 35" tires. A Stuart Florida policeman pulled me over and he seemed a little surprised to see that I was not a kid ( 42years old then) driving this lifted truck. So he says he thinks my 'Burb is to tall and measures the bumper heigth from the ground (dirt/grass uneven) with a Stanley tape measure and says I'm a inch to tall and rights me a ticket. So I request a court date and at court I explain to the judge that we where on uneven dirt/grass and that I would like to see the certification for his Stanley tape measure. I explained to the judge that it is a measuring device just like a radar gun is a measuring device that has to be certified in the state of Florida. The judge looks at the policeman and ask for the certifaction for the Stanley tape measure and of course there is none, judge says case dismissed. I stayed out of Stuart Florida for a long time. LOL.
  3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

The "catalytic converter" on my 94 suburban. :3
    It's pretty much just the original converter shell with nothing in it.
    I do plan to get a high-flow converter when money's better.
  4. Chevyboy350

Chevyboy350 New Member

well i have been pulled over for window tint haha its factory tint on a 97 blazer.... haha ummm ride hight... in minnesota the tire cant stick out past the fenders so that as well... noise ordinance but understandable its headers and then hollow cat and dumps right out the cat... speedin due to the speedo being off for oversized tires... have been pulled over with a friend for having drag slicks ... obstructed view after a mud run.... and also littering cuz of the mud fallin off ( thats some bs )
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

Back in high school I got an "obstructed windshield" ticket for having my parking pass for my school's parking lot hanging from the rearview mirror. Total BS cuz the school required me to have it displayed on the rearview mirror.
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Other than the black tailight covers and dark tint,i know that you will get ticketed for your tires sticking out past the fenders.I know that a friend of mine once got a ticket for a dirty license plate,sounds like nitpicking,but it was so dirty you couldn't see the numbers and letters.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Belair Ca. in 1983 I was ticketed for driving a vehicle that was considered a "vision nusance to the public".
    I was driving a 67 Chevy 4x4 that admittedly was rough looking, beat fenders and doors, flat black paint, scraped up paint on the bumpers, most important it was 100% legal down to the license and smog cert.
    I took the case to court and the Judge threw it out, then explained to me they achieved their desired goal, as soon as they ticketed me I drove out of their jurisdiction and the goal was to prevent trashy looking vehicles from driving around their city.
    I pointed out I could drive down there anytime I wanted and he said yep you can, and I'll see you in court every time, I may throw it out but you gotta take time off of work to come to court, we can keep doing this until one of us gets tired of it.
    I havent visited Belair Ca. in 27 years.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

tbplus10, I think when you retire and have nothing to do you should drive through Belair Ca. everyday. LOL.
  9. turbo

turbo New Member

from las vegas , i go to cedar city utah , this state trooper pulls me over ,says your bumper fell off,i'm like no ****! jump out run to the back of my truck, nothing wrong ,tells me thats not a bumper, i tell him theres one fab'd behind thwe roll pan,cop was so fat ,he couldnt get under it to see it,i laughed ,and it went down hill from there. Next he say roll up your windows so i can see if its lehal tint(9%),then he says i need to measure your sterring wheel ,utah law says 13"/mine 12 7/8(ticket #3,wait theres more,then the l.e.d taillights dont have reflectors on the side#4,then the front clear markers #5, the prking lamps had a blue tint,#6, the license plat tinted cover#7. but wait nuts holding on the lic.plate frame reflective paint matching # 8 so with that i cryed !lol
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Dont think I havent been tempted every time I think about that ticket.