GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Illegal to wash your car in your own driveway in Garden City NY?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Pikey, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I saw this online. Apparently it is against a city ordinance to wash your car in your own driveway in Garden City, NY. I kinda feel sorry for the cop. You can tell that he thinks that the situation is ridiculous and is just doing his job. He seems to be pretty cool with the guys even while they are being smart A$$es

Warning! The cop swears a few times.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

id hose the neighbors car with a paintball gun in the middle of the night and call the police when I see them washing it while recording the whole thing lol
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Dueck

Dueck Member

I heard it was illegal in Calgary, Alberta as well. Pretty crazy.
  4. Curky

Curky New Member

I would get so many tickets. This is a BS law. I use to have a book on unusual laws and you would be surprised.
    http://www.dumblaws.com/laws
  5. Curky

Curky New Member

In Alabama it is illegal to flick a booger into the wind.....
  6. Curky

Curky New Member

In Ohio you can get a parking ticket if your tire is more than 2in. On the grass. $20 a ticket and I do have one of those naoughbors that call on everything because one day my wife flicked a cigarette out her window while passing her house(when she smoked) we have had nothing but problems since..,...
  7. Dueck

Dueck Member

Alabama is one messed up state. In Auburn,
    Men who deflower virgins, regardless of age or marital status, may face up to five years in jail.
    What do they do, drive them out of town for the first one?
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Guess I won't be moving there any time soon..... :oops:
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

many places like that no car washing ordnance in the PRK (people's Republik of Kalifornia). Theres even subdivisions where its against the rules to park a car in your driveway. Although NY does try in every way to rival the shear stupidity of California.
  10. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Youve got that right... and now its not good enough... NY wants to begin to lead the way on shear stupidity with their money sucking stupid laws. Just ask governor Cuomo he will tell ya how NY is going to lead the way for gun control.. So look out Cali... NY is looking at your laws and gonna do them 1 better.:grrrrrr:
  11. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 New Member

Cops don't really care about ordinances like this. They just have to enforce the laws/ordinances they are given. My town has a few ordinances that are even more ridiculous and no officer I know wants to enforce them but they have too.
  12. Curky

Curky New Member

Me myself never said anything bad about a cop. They are just doing their job. .. they have to in force the law no matter how stupid it is..
  13. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

We cant wash in the summer months in my one horse town, or even water a lawn unless you are willing to stand outside with the hose in your hand and water. lol. :rules:
  14. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

Not sure this is necessarily always true. In San Diego its illegal to spit on the sidewalk, but cops are selective on its enforcement (usually when the person is being a pain and now the cop is looking for more things to get them with). Speeding tickets are another example. Officers have discretion in certain areas.
  15. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 New Member

They do have discretion and how the person acts determines the outcome in many situations. The city ordinances in my city aren't up to the officer to enforce. They get in serious trouble for not enforcing them.
  16. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

More of this coming due to federal clean water regulations.

Outside of desert areas most cities have storm sewer systems that drain into lakes and rivers. The outlets of these systems are regulated by the federal government now, and the cities can be fined for pollutants. This has led to the new ordinances.

Around here you can wash your car in the driveway as long as the runoff doesn't end up in a storm drain. That's typical of the new rules.
  17. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I could never live somewhere you couldn't wash your own car. I don't trust any car washes especially automated ones because of the paint damage on my truck caused by the previous owner having a car wash next to his dealership that he used religiously and scratched and ruined the paint with.
  18. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

It's the arbitratry nature of how things are different in different places.

I was in mcdonalds yesterday and went to get a refill (this was in a Walmart) and I was notified that refills are $1. I was like what?