1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Illegal to wash your car in your own driveway in Garden City NY?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Pikey, Dec 17, 2013.

1. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

Cops don't really care about ordinances like this. They just have to enforce the laws/ordinances they are given. My town has a few ordinances that are even more ridiculous and no officer I know wants to enforce them but they have too.
  2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Me myself never said anything bad about a cop. They are just doing their job. .. they have to in force the law no matter how stupid it is..
  3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

We cant wash in the summer months in my one horse town, or even water a lawn unless you are willing to stand outside with the hose in your hand and water. lol. :rules:
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Not sure this is necessarily always true. In San Diego its illegal to spit on the sidewalk, but cops are selective on its enforcement (usually when the person is being a pain and now the cop is looking for more things to get them with). Speeding tickets are another example. Officers have discretion in certain areas.
  5. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

They do have discretion and how the person acts determines the outcome in many situations. The city ordinances in my city aren't up to the officer to enforce. They get in serious trouble for not enforcing them.
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

More of this coming due to federal clean water regulations.

Outside of desert areas most cities have storm sewer systems that drain into lakes and rivers. The outlets of these systems are regulated by the federal government now, and the cities can be fined for pollutants. This has led to the new ordinances.

Around here you can wash your car in the driveway as long as the runoff doesn't end up in a storm drain. That's typical of the new rules.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I could never live somewhere you couldn't wash your own car. I don't trust any car washes especially automated ones because of the paint damage on my truck caused by the previous owner having a car wash next to his dealership that he used religiously and scratched and ruined the paint with.
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's the arbitratry nature of how things are different in different places.

I was in mcdonalds yesterday and went to get a refill (this was in a Walmart) and I was notified that refills are $1. I was like what?