1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm getting sentimental - seasons changing, kids back in school, labor day

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just sort of got feeling sentimental for old times. When I was a kid we ALWAYS went camping and boating/skiing on labor day weekend up in Washington State or in northern Idaho. It's just something that we did every year for like 15 years. Sigh, I'm not at a place in life where I can do that yet, and not in part of the country where I can do that when it's not hot.

Just got feeling like I need to do more in life, give my kids better memories of holidays, spending time with family, getting back to nature and to the great outdoors, stuff like that.

Anyone else feel like that from time to time?

Not to mention that I'm in the last few weeks of my 30's ... shoot, I'm no longer the young hot-shot anymore.
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

We all get older... 20's, 30's, 40's. Life goes by quickly. The only thing that your kids need from you is your time... everything else is just fluff.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ya old basterd!!
    Life goes on, kids age, you do the best you can and enjoy life as much as possible.
    Youll never be able to make your kids childhood like yours was, too much changes and sometimes their interests are much different than yours.
    Just have fun.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I grew up traveling on Labor day weekend also. My family is also not to the point in our lives where we can do that new either. On holiday weekends my sons and I usually smoke ribs or some other meat. Today we did a pork butt. I realized the other day that my boys do not go as many places as I did when I was younger. Then I also realized that my four year old can could change the brake pads on my truck by himself if he was strong enough. He has done it enough with me that he knows every step. We can lay under the truck and he and my 2 year old can ID about 95% of the components. I started thinking and came to the conclusion that I don't do anything without my kids. Oil change-the kids are there, tune-up, brakes, clean the gutters, cut the lawn-The kids are with me and watching me constantly. So, it may take me 10 minutes longer than normal to complete a job, but I am spending time with my kids and teaching them something. Yea, sometimes it stinks running into Home depot for a box of screws with 3 kids in tow. It should take 2 minutes, but takes 20. It would also be nice to have another income other than my wife's. But, I would not trade anything for the massive amount of time I spend with my kids.
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Yeah, hear you all on this topic....our kids are 22 and 17.....they still hang around us a bit and go camping with us, but they have different interests now even from 6 or 7 years ago....they help out when asked and my wife and I are always complimented on theoretical, behavior and willingness to help.....we seem Tobe that family that everyone else from both sides of the family goto.....yeah, busy, but deep down we love it and it's the right thing to do helping others get by as my wife and I are very fortunate forwhere we are today in being able to help out!!!!
  6. ChevyFan

Yeah, getting older. Time keeps marching on. Now just have to plan for a good school year and a good holiday season this year as well.

Not sure what we have planned for the holidays this year, but we try to do something for the following:

Labor Day: Running some errands today, going to finish cleaning out the garage.
    State Fair of Texas: Go for a day with the family, going to media day at the Auto Show.
    Halloween: Going to at least one of the pumpkin patches, then we'll do one of the fall festivals instead of going door to door.
    Thanksgiving:
    Family get together at our place, maybe with my parents.
    Christmas:
    My folks are planning to come out for about a month in their RV and stay with us during the day.
    New Years:
    Not sure, probably stay in town, we might try to spend a week up in the mountains if we can.
  7. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie Member

Whatever you do, tip one to the troops this weekend/week. This Labor day makes the 3rd holiday I've missed being deployed, but I'll not complain. I know guys who were here before I got here and won't be home for Christmas, and I will be. God bless this best nation on the face of the earth. I'd do it all again!
  8. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Yes, thought of you who are deployed ! One cold one consumed in your honor sir. As for me, had to spend most of the holiday weekend working - not complaining either, ranching here is a family business & some things can't be put off because of a holiday. At least I was fortunate enough to be with part of my family for the weekend ! Ken
  9. ChevyFan

Can never say thanks enough.

I just realized I've been in Texas now for 14 years. Wow, would have thought I would have grown up by now. Lol.