1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm new help with 89 5.7 hp boosts

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bcoffman, May 5, 2009.

1. bcoffman

bcoffman New Member 100 Posts

Hi everyone,
    I know this has probably been asked several times, but since i'm new maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I am getting a 89 suburban 5.7 v1500 and I'm trading my 99 f250 power stroke for it. I'm getting some cash on the trade also and i would like to know some simple ways to boost Hp. I want to put some of the cash back into the truck.around $1000 to $1500. I was thinking about an airaid intake and throttle body spacer , a hypertech coil pack with dist cap and rotor, plugs and wires.
    i also like to know where i can find a chip or tuner the only thing i have found is a venom PCM (Performance control module). It already has a 3" flowmaster cat back exhaust, we have visual emmissions test.

I am going to miss my f250 but am excited about the suburban. with all the upgrades on my f250 I had approx. 460 hp and 750 LB torque. I'm not expecting that from my burb. Just add a few horses.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Blazerado

Blazerado New Member 100 Posts

That motor is a blank canvas, i would go with the edelbrock intake manifold and holley throttle body to start. Them yes the airaid intake, ACdelco rapidfire plugs, cap, rotor,and wires. And the MSD coils work great too.
  3. bcoffman

Thanks i'll check on that.
  4. Blazerado

I think i still have my holley down in the garage if you want it, come to think of it. Wanted to install it on my 90 K1500 and the motor blew up befor i had the chance.
  5. bcoffman

Do i need to install a new intake or will it bolt right on.
  6. Blazerado

It will bolt right up, all you have to do is splice the wires in for the 2 injectors but there color matched
  7. bcoffman

I am getting the suburban on the weekend of the 17th. along with the money. If you would like send me a pm and I'll think about what i'm going to do. when i get the truck and money i can look you up. also let me know what you want for it. Any other suggestions on hp boost? also can you put a throttle body spacer under it?
    Last edited: May 5, 2009