I'm New | Initial Questions...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chrysler1924, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

1. Chrysler1924

Chrysler1924 New Member

Hey folks. My name is Chris and I'm from Fort Collins, Colorado right along the front range of the Rocky Mountains.

Earlier today I was given a new work truck, which, I believe, is a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4x2 with the six-cylinder engine. I'll be perfectly honest and let you know that I know almost nothing about this family of trucks, or GM in general as I've always been a Mopar guy. I've always liked GM, just never drove any until now.

From what little research I've done so far, I think the truck has a "4.3L Ecotec V6." While my truck only has about 21,000 miles on it, it's currently in pretty rough shape. The employee that had it before myself really did not do that truck any favors.

I on the other hand am very particular about vehicles I drive which is why I'm here. I received the truck absolutely filthy which will be remedied when I have it steam cleaned and detailed. The top of the tailgate has a dent in it and somehow the passenger side view mirror glass got shattered.

A few questions to get me started...

Is there anything I should be aware of as far as special info regarding the engine and transmission in this truck? I tried to read the owner's manual except apparently that got thrown out before I got it. So, maintenance schedules are a bit of a mystery at the moment.

I'm thinking I should convert it over to fully-synthetic motor oil as I've always run in my other vehicles. I'll change the air filter as well as take a look at the condition of the brake and power steering fluids. I don't know if this line of engines accept both a standard duty and heavy duty/high capacity oil filter, but I'm happy to swap it to heavy duty/high capacity and whatever brand you all feel works best.

Is there anything I should be sure and have checked out on the truck, despite it being fairly new?

I'd eventually like to replace the busted mirror glass but that's a superficial problem at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

2. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

what you have is really not a truck, work truck . this is basically a car that has a truck body. this is a one wheel drive . what is your use of this vehicle ?

the owners manual can be purchased , so if you do keep it I would read the manual to get familiar with all the features and the maintenance required.

using synthetic oils GM dexos approved, transmission uses dexron VI ONLY.. the rear diff gear oil should be checked at each oil change and if looking gray replace .

when changing engine oil , allow the HOT OIL time to drain out . check for leaks and if any issues , this is still under warranty so bring to GM dealer for repairs ..

rotate tires 10-13K miles. check brakes at this time for wear and any binding.

a 2016 2500 is a work truck . a vehicle that is used to haul/tow and used in the business of loading . So do not over load this vehicle...

Goldie and Cowboytrukr like this.