1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Im wondering what a rebuild of 5.7 involves?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by drillbit26, Mar 14, 2012.

1. drillbit26

drillbit26 Rockstar 100 Posts

I know its been awhile. sorry. I just bought a 1984 k10 swb with man. 4 speed, has the granny gear. It originally had a 305 but previous owner put in a 350. would like to rebuild maybe. have about a $1000 to play with and was wondering what would be the things you would do first if it was yours. thanks
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The first thing to do after you get the motor out of the truck and stripped down is to take it to a machine shop. Have them steam clean the block and check it for cracks and warpage. While they have it have them hon the cylinders. Honing is something that can be done at home if you know what you are doing. But having a machine shop check the block over will ensure you are starting with a good block. You could even have them assemble the bottom end. Not sure of your knowledge level. The bottom end is were you need to do it right for it to last. Once you get the bottom end assembled than it is just bolting on parts and gaskets. I haven't checked in a long while but a master gasket set for a 5.7 is fairly cheap. You can get a cheaply made kit for less but I would spend a little more to get a quality kit. One that comes with a good head gasket set. If you know the history of the acc. than you can reuse them. But me I would put a new water pump on just for peice of mind. And another thing I would do while I have it apart is to clean and paint as many parts as you can while they are removed. Do the same to the engine bay. The paint thing is a personal thing but I think it makes a big difference in the apperance of the truck once you have it back together.
    Good luck and let us know what you did.
  3. Gundog10

Gundog10 New Member

I agree with above, you will also need to have the heads done. New valve guides for sure. New hydraulic lifters, check the valves and push rods.