1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Improve fuel effiency

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by AtlantaDJ, Feb 8, 2012.

1. AtlantaDJ

AtlantaDJ New Member

Anyone have experience improving the fuel effiency. This is a chip advertised on this website and many on e-bay. I have checked with buyers from e-bay, and those that replied siad those were useless!

I love my thrucks, but some additional miles per gallon would be awesome! A little extra horse power would not heart either.

I have a 98 K1500 5.7L Surburban and a 2004 AWD Yukon Denal XL 6.0L

I look forward to reading your replies.
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

Those eBay chips are useless.

On the money you spend to try and improve fuel economy by 1 maybe 2 mpg why not spend those hundreds of dollars on gas? Just my $0.02
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I have a corsa exhaust system, k&n air filter, and a jet programmer on my 2003 yukon xl, with a 5.3l. The fuel economy changed slightly with this additions. I went from 16 mpg on the freeway to around 19mpg. That is if I drive at 68 mph. If I go above 70mph it drops to 17 mpg or below. The exhaust and filter were on it when I bought it. I had the jet programmer from my 2002 silverado. It does shift a lot smoother, has a little more power, and the engine does sound like it has an easier time moving the yukon up hills after I put the programmer on.
  4. AtlantaDJ

AtlantaDJ New Member

Come on guys,

I don't want to spend big bucks for a 1 mile per gallon improvement, but refuse to accept with all of you experts out there that no one is willing to share how best to improve gas milage!
  5. repley81

repley81 Member

I used to own a 05 Tahoe with the 5.3L. I put a flowmaster exhaust ($145 installed) and a K&N air intake ($245 installed it myself) and it improved my gas mileage a lot. I went from getting 295 miles to a tank to almost 400 miles to a tank.
  6. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of "cheap" options for drastically improving fuel efficiency. Basic things like intakes and exhaust upgrades only have minimal impact to your vehicle overall (sorry folks, but it is the truth). Other big factors are your driving habits, which are a lot more easily changed. HOwever, couple those three things with highway tires (no offroaders), and lighten your truck as much as possible. Then you'll more than likely see some significant improvements.

In all honesty, most of the things I've bought for my vehicle have been for looks and increase performance. But when I drive conservatively, even I can see about a 2-3 mpg increase average in my truck. I'm pretty sure we do have some other more knowledgeable folks who will pipe up soon, just give em some time! Good luck on your mods, and let us know what you end up doin!
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Agreed!! Unfortunately there is no cheap add on that is going to net you 5mpg. If there was, chances are it would have came installed on the truck from the factory. You can add duel exhaust, cold air intake, underdrive pullys, and a programmer. Then drive very conservatively. You MIGHT net a few mpg increase. If there was a "miracle cure" for increased mpg we would all have it. Your greatest chance of an increase would be a custom tune from someone like @06MonteSS . The tunes are custom for YOUR motor, not a basic box tune that come with a standard programmer. That would be the best way to have your engine running as efficient as possible. Then every time you add something (intake, exhaust) you need to have it retuned. But, just like everything else, mpg increases are not guaranteed. The best thing you can do is make sure that your tires are properly inflated. Keep up on maintenance, spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. repley81

repley81 Member

So basically, don't drive with a lead foot haha
  9. Read this PDF, it is for trucking but the basic principles are the same for any truck or car. That is the best way to improve gas mileage!
  10. NagRuTan

NagRuTan New Member

Sorry to say but your pretty much boned in the mileage department. I have done pretty much everything mentioned about (except ebay gas scam crap) and my mileage went from a 9-10mpg to a mind shattering 11. :p

Nag.