Improving the Turning radius

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

was wondering if anyone else has been able to improve the turning radius for the 4WD 1500s.... my blazer is the shortest wheelbase out of any C/K truck and it still turns like a battleship...

i noticed that the center link and steering boxes are different after 1995. but since the frames are the same, i was wondering if you could rebuild say, a 1993 with 1998 steering parts to improve the maneuverability.
    the concern of course, is ruining suspension geometry and getting the dreaded "death wobble".

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From past experience I dont believe its possible without a lot of machine work and reengineering.
    the earlier trucks had a slightly better turning radius, but some of the steering components had reliability issues also.
    Not sure if the trade-off and expense are worth the end results.
    Probably the best improvement is gained with a SAS using a Dana 44, but again a trade-off since the 60 makes a much stronger axle for this swap but makes turning radius even worse unless you cut and rotate the knuckles a few degrees.
    Theres just no simple way to correct this issue, and if you dont like it now you really wouldnt like it if you had a locker up front.