1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Improving Z71 Suspension- Reservoir Shocks

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Vincennes02261897, Sep 23, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

So Hawaiikid's recent thread post on sway bars got me thinking (which of course raised a few questions).

First I started wondering, what exactly does the Z71 package (for 2x4 trucks) bring to the table in regards to suspension? On the Chevrolet website it states that "the Z71 Off-Road Suspension package... includes 36mm twin-tube high-pressure gas-charged shocks, 36mm front stabilizer bar and off-road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs".... but being as I am pretty new to trucks, I'm not quite sure what all this means. Moreover, I really have no idea how capable this really makes the truck.

Now, I'm not looking to get into some full-out baja truck style activities with 10 foot jumps and insanely uneven terrain, but how far is too far with what I do have?

Also, with a 2x4 truck, a lift kit would be a bit over the top. Nonetheless, as I do find my self off-road quite often, a leveling kit and some 33" all terrain tires are certainly on the list for down the road (no pun intended). So would reservoir shocks like the Fox 2.0 Pro Series Coil-Over Remote Reservoir Shocks be too much of an additon? I've never seen anything like that on a non-lifted truck before so it makes me a bit wary.

I love hauling *** off road without having to worry about taking reasonable pot holes with slow consideration. So what would I need to sit back and enjoy the ride without having to worry about tearing up my new truck? Or would I really need to do anything at all?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It used to mean Bilstine shocks but I don't think they come with them any more... :( Better shocks and spring rates would make it a better truck BUT GM is tring to save money again.. Take a good look at the new Ford Raptor.. Now thats a Factory Off road truck.. It is built very well and has HD everything,, They do know how to market a truck Something GM has forgotten.....:( I don't want more stickers I want Something built to take anything...

3. Vincennes02261897

That new Ford Raptor is an awesome looking truck. I'm definitely a Chevy guy but every time I walk past a Raptor in the parking lot I nearly break my neck checking that thing out. Like you said, it's ready to hit the trail. And after reading a bit about the Raptor, it seems like its got more to offer than just looks too! So, those Z71 stickers on the back of my truck aren't saying a whole lot then, huh?

4. Enkeiavalanche

They used too mean a lot.. Not anymore... GM WAKE UP!!!!!! The new 4 door Raptor is coming with a 6.2 L It's going to be a killer...

5. Vincennes02261897

That's quite a shame (but I still love my truck).

In that case, would upgraded shocks make a pretty big difference when it comes to off-road capability? Or would it require a little more than upgraded, after-market, drop in shocks?

6. Enkeiavalanche

Skid plates,Locker in the rear,(You might have one already) Good off road tires and stiffer shocks.. And don't forget the Stickers...LOL

7. Vincennes02261897

Good deal. I've got some skid plates and locking rear differential in the back (which should be helpful). So would shocks like the Fox Racing Shox work? And in that regard, assuming a 2.5 inch leveling kit was installed, what would be the length of travel?

[​IMG]

Also, should the shocks be replaced in the front AND the back or just the front.

And finally, does anyone know what a POSI is? I've been catching this term here and there (some saying its essential) but I'm not quite sure what it is or what it does. Any explanation would be great!

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Or, even this....

http://www.camburg.com/?p=416

Anyone have any experience with this company or their products? That's kind of pricey, though. I may be better off with a level kit from ReadyLift and some upgraded shocks. But then again... I don't know. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A POSI is like a limited slip rear diff.

About how much do those fox shocks cost for a leveled 1500?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  9. Vincennes02261897

Gottya. So the rear differential I have is probably sufficient?

Looks like about $190. That seems to be the best example I can find, anyway. But again, I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/730/sfID3/731/productID/39097

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

See, I think something like this would be cool:
    http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/59233-05-Silverado-Build
    But.... that seems like too much for a daily driver. So, I'm really just kind of looking for what I can do to make my truck more capable without making it too capable for daily use. If that makes sense...

10. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There was some serious money spent on that Silverado.

For what they are I dont think $190 is too bad, but that is just for the rear. If I was to upgrade to those I would want to do it front and rear. I completly understand your thinking on making it more capable off road but not too capable to where it hurts the day in day out driving. I also think for a 2wd Z-71 that a level kit and 33's are perfect. You have the skid plates and the locking rear end so just get some better rubber and good to go. Please keep up updated on what you plan on doing about these Fox shocks. You have my intrest peaked!