1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In an HHR right now

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, May 9, 2012.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well, 2 weeks and 1300 miles later, I am no longer an HHR operator. I got my car back from the body shop yesterday. So now, I can make some conclusion thoughts about my time with the car.

It was a great experience driving the HHR. It was quite peppy, with good brakes, and it got good fuel mileage. It was comfortable to sit in both the front and back seats, and had a nice entertainment system and A/C. It had plenty space inside it. But, the cupholders were far from optimal. Would I tow a trailer with it? Probably, but it would need to be a small 4x6 flatbed with only 1000 pounds or so in it, and even then I'd need to watch for curbs and such. Would I buy one? Absolutely, if they could sort out the cupholder situation. Would I recommend it for other people to buy? Absolutely. This was a great little car to commute to work in and get groceries in.
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

Since im young and like cars that have the power to pull away from a stop light with ease, i took notice they made them in an ss version as well. its a turbocharged motor, but wondered if anyone tried one of these?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Christopher I wouldnt recommend a trailer, the HHR doesnt do well towing, we hooked up a small single bike trailer 190lbs and my Harley Nightrain 695lbs to my wifes HHR for a trip to Florida and the HHR didnt do well, starting from lights it didnt have enough omf to get up to speed fast enough and braking from high speeds (60-65) was a little scary. While on the road and maintaining speed it did okay and we never got any sway from it even in some roller coaster sections of the road.

Kyle I've tried the HHR SS, a fast fun little car, but if you keep your foot in it it defeats the biggest reason for getting an HHR, fuel mileage, theres a lot of cars out there that are made for going fast that do the job better and return decent mileage.

The HHR is a great small family station wagon for a budget concious family that wants great mileage, an in expensive vehilcle they can option out with leather, sunroof, power windows, power locks, heated power seats, power mirrors, and a few other gadgets, that also has low maintenance cost's, and can be purchased for under $25k, it does that job well, anymore than that and your better off shopping for something else.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Kyle, it looks like the 2.0 supercharged wasn't used since 2008. It also looks like I was mistaken, and the HHR I was in actually had the 2.2L Ecotec, the same one my Saturn ION has, not the 2.4L Ecotec I thought it had. Actually, when I think about it further, I'm willing to bet the HHR is built off the same chassis as my Ion, but with the wagon body on it. The 2.0L supercharged Ecotec was offered in the Ion Redline...

Tim, of course I didn't attempt to tow a trailer since it was a rental and had no hitch, but it's good to hear some real-world experience with that. I was taking an educated guess on its towing abilities based on my Ion. I've towed a good 1000 pounds in a 4x6 flatbed with the Ion for 100 miles or more with no issue. I don't know if it's true, but it definitely seemed like the HHR was lower to the ground than my Saturn.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

i believed they had the option for a turbocharged motor like some cobalts did. I like going fast but when im not to be able to get good gas mileage.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yea the Turbo Charged HHR SS used the same 2.0ltr engine that was used on the Cobalt, but the cobalt seems to be a bit lighter car, I've driven both in Turbo Charged version and while they both handled great I think the Cobalt handled a little better and was more responsive.
    The cars I drove were stock vehicles from the factory and the impression I felt was that there was some potential for future performance mods that could make either vehicle a real performer. I know when we put the Eibach spring kit on my wifes HHR it tightend up traction and corner handling quite a bit so I would think that small increase would be a help with performance.
  7. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

For the dollar a pretty reasonable ride for mulituses.