In need of a garage!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by KyleZ71, Jan 30, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

So I received all my front suspension parts, rotors, breaks, and anti sway bars and was planning on having a truck filled weekend. My manager at the apartments promised me use of the garage this weekend but since we just got new management for the apartments that promise is no more. Since it's like 10F here my rust converter and undercoating I was going to hit the frame up with won't adhere. So here I am so frustrated with all my parts and no place to install them. Sorry for the rant guys just wanted to get it out.

2. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I know how ya feel man, Ive got things to do to my truck and I have a garage or pole barn to be more specific but its a dirt floor and no heat. I have a hard time working on things in 40 degree weather let alone right now in the single digits. Good luck finding a place. Maybe a carwash owner will let ya bring in a turbo heater and shut the doors.:lol:Just kidding...

P.S. You might laugh at that but I have actually changed my oil in a car wash bay before. several years ago.

3. KyleZ71

I was so excited for this weekend, even though the ups guy has to hate my guts. My friend from ROTC was gonna come up and it was gonna be out weekend project. Now I'm asking around on Facebook. I'd hate to put the parts on without treating rust because there's no better time to hit up the frame when the upper control arms are off and all other components are off.

4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I feel your pain, Kyle. I too live in an apartment and they have an explicit rule that we are not allowed to work on our vehicles in the parking lot. There are some garages and you can work on your car inside if you have one of the garages but they are all full up and there is a waiting list to get one. All I can do is stockpile the parts I want to replace on my truck and then put them all on at once whenever I have a long weekend and can get down to my dad's place. He has a big shop at his place and just about every tool you can think of so that helps.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

just a heads up, some products like you mentioned have a 24 hour or more cure time. So, you would have to pull your truck in, let it warm up enough that the stuff sticks and then let it sit in the warm temp for 24 hours to let it fully cure before taking the truck back out into freezing temps. My friend learned this the hard way when he painted his rims in his garage, let it sit for a few hours and then took it out in 15 degree weather. The paint all cracked and peeled.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Can you make it to Fort Lee NJ Sat? No undercoating But we could get the other parts on

7. KyleZ71

Sorry for disappearing. Friday came and my buddy and I froze our butts off as we installed both front and rear anti sway bars and front rotors. The back went on like a piece of cake but one bolt on the front passenger side sway bar bracket would break lose. After rounding the bolt we ended up breaking out there crow bar to bend the bracket to get the stock bar out. We the inserted the new sway bar with bushings into the front. Not the ideal method but it works. But man WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Waiting on my set of gear wrench line wrenches from home before I think of tackling the brake lines. I'll just wait until spring to do the rest, as much as that'll bug me.

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What??? No Pics?? :neutral:

9. KyleZ71

Don't worry, pictures will be taken Friday when I replace the rear brakes and rotors (and hopefully brake lines too). We finished when it was getting dark so I put off the pictures sorry!

10. KyleZ71

rear sway.jpg front sway 1.jpg front sway 2.jpg
    Here are the pics

Attached Files: