Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In need of programmer

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Peterson85, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Peterson85

Peterson85 New Member

Help on programmer decision for 2001 2500HD 6.0

Hi guys I am brand new to this and I bought my 01 2500hd with the 6.0 a couple years ago and am in need of a tuner or programmer (hand held) not sure of there is a difference but I was wondering what to go with I have been reading the **** out of all the old posts from like 2010 and am impressed with all the help you guys offer with everything I am thinking of going with diablo just don't know what one
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

All junk ..get a dyno tune from nelsons or black bear.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When it comes to handheld programmers, by themselves they offer better improvement than nothing at all. However, a custom tune is where you get the most bang for your buck, as every truck is a little different and a canned tune on a handheld programmer is so generic that it can't possibly maximize improvement for any one vehicle -- but a custom tune is specific to YOUR vehicle.

You might consider getting a DiabloSport InTune and a custom tune from [MENTION=32828]06MonteSS[/MENTION] (aka Diablew), who is a custom tuner and patron of this site, as well. I'm quite happy with his work on my truck and I believe he sells both the handheld device and a custom tune as a bundle that's cheaper than if you bought them separately. You work with him for the tune by doing data logs and then sending him the logs ... and he sends back the tune. You don't need to be a computer expert to do it ... he can walk you through it if you're not sure of the what/how.
  4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

correct ^ ^ ^....

With the custom tune done for the intune/trinity and your truck, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

as far as gains go... absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play...

I CAN tell you that you will definitely have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

I have gained people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque...and 0 to 3.5 mpg... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...