1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

inaccurate fuel gauge

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevy89, Feb 10, 2011.

1. chevy89

chevy89 New Member

hi i have a 04 silverado, and my fuel gauge has gone haywire, it has rotated past the full mark and is stuck underneath the empty fuel light, im thinking i might need a new sending unit but wanted to ask everyone for tips first, thanks.
  2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

This is the first instance of this that i have heard of but, i think a new sending unit might not be a bad idea. Hope you get it straightened out.
  3. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

If not the sending unit, then the dash cluster stepper motor has gone bad (which is WAY more common than a failing sending unit). Search around and you'll find lots of dash cluster/stepping motor threads. You can buy new motors on ebay and change them yourself or there are several dash repair places that will do it for you.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. chevy89

chevy89 New Member

thanks guys

thanks alot for the info everyone, i didnt even think about the stepper motor, sounds like that could be the problem.