Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Inconsistent Grinding Noise Up Front???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by brtt485, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brtt485

brtt485 Member

Hey All!
    New to the forum here as this is the first sign of trouble with the truck. I was hoping you could shed a little lite on what I am hearing.

It is a 2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 with about 63,000 miles. I am getting an inconsistent grinding noise that sounds like its coming from around the left front wheel. It only happens after I have driven for a while and at relatively low speeds and rpms (20-40mph and 800-1500 rpm). Sometimes happens when going straight but most often with a slight left turn. Typically does not happen when turning the wheel to the right or with hard turns.

I put her in 4wd and turned left and right and she really doesnt like that, lot's of grinding there which I had never heard in the past.

My guess was hub bearings which would be good news I think as it doesn seem like they are tough to replace based on the research I have done on this forum but I didnt want to buy them until I had some input.

Oh, and this just started a few days ago.

Any ideas?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Without actually hearing the noise, it can be hard to say, but my 1st thought is brakes. You could be hearing the wear indicator starting to contact the rotor, which would indicate that it's time to change the pads.
  3. brtt485

brtt485 Member

Brakes are new and the fact that the noise is exaggerated in 4wd would lead me to believe it was something other than the brakes. Also, wouldnt the wear indicator produce a consistent sound?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

If you off road any it could have rocks or mud inside the front wheel which would amplifi when the wheel is engaged. Also it could be your rotor. Jack the truck up and pull the wheel off and see if there is alot of slack. If there is to much slack it is the hub. Check for things like rocks or mud wash it really well and it my stop. My buddys 05 z71 was doing that and he was freeking. He power washed the front end and the noise stopped.
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've heard wear indicators that weren't consistent, especially if the brakes have just reached the point of contact.

Because of the stress the drivetrain is under when turning in 4wd (especially on pavement), I wouldn't be surprised to see that exagerate any noise you hear.

If it can't be brakes, the next thing I'd look at would be wheel bearings. As noted, jack up the wheel and see if there's any play in the wheel. Rotate the wheel to see if you can hear/feel any roughness.
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

could be cv shafts too. They make a lot of noise when they decide to break, and usually gets worse when you put power to them.
  7. Howie

Howie Rockstar

Hanger bearing?

Just replaced mine, truck was making a wakawakawakawaka noise, but only forward.
  8. ridnrimz

ridnrimz Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had the same noise with my 07 classic (same as yours basically) and not sure what the problem is. Same situation though, mainly happens at low speeds and in 4wd. Hasn't happened in a few weeks now though. My truck is under warranty still so I took it in and they didn't hear anything, they told me to bring it back if I can "make it do it again". Ugh, frustrating.
  9. bigblue89GMC

bigblue89GMC New Member

Sounds like a cv shaft to me, but it could be a wheel bearing. Like said before jack up the front and check for play in the tire. If there is no play then it has to be cv shaft.
  10. mrpyromaniac

mrpyromaniac New Member

It's probably a cv shaft OR ujoints... check the boot around the cv shafts for wear, if you don't see anything then I would try turning your front driveshaft and see if there is any play. Usually wheel bearings make noise when you go faster. Ujoints can tend to make noise on and off. Let us know!