1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

increased ground clearance

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chihawks35, Mar 26, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. chihawks35

chihawks35 Member 1 Year

If im upgrading from a 31" tire on a 17" wheel to a 33.5" tire on an 18" wheel about how much more ground clearance do you think i will get. i mean basic math would say about 2 inches but how true is that?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Since you only provided overall diameter of the wheel and the tire (i.e. didn't provide tire width and profile information), I can't calculate what you're asking about, as there's not enough information. So, instead, I'll link you to the calculator I'd use and you can calc it, yourself, and answer your own question.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Best I can do given the info provided. :)
  3. chihawks35

chihawks35 Member 1 Year

this doesnt seem to give me any ground clearance information it just shows my spedo difference im going from 265/70/17 to 275/70/18
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Try paying attention to the 'diameter' information for the old and new tire sizes. The delta between the two is the clearance you'll get. ..after considering/accounting for both wheel and tire information, which is what you were looking to do.
  5. chihawks35

chihawks35 Member 1 Year

i see what you're saying thanks
  6. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

goin from a 31 to a 33.5 should give you about an 1.25 inch gain in clearance. the center of both tires will mount to the hub in the same spot. so of the 2.5 inches of difference in size, half will be on top, and half will be on the bottom( which is what is going to add clearance)
  7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

The real benefit of the larger tires are that it will fill the wheel wheels better and just give more balance to the look of your vehicle. 33.5's are what I am running on mine...:)))
  8. chihawks35

chihawks35 Member 1 Year

yea your truck is nice i think it will look good. thanks for the help

ps, i like that custom encore you have looks good, i have an omega

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i think the ones im looking at (nittos) are like 33.64 inches so that should look nice
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yep :great: it's actually the radius of the tires you need to use. The 31 has a radius of 15.5", the 33.5 has a radius of 16.75". The difference, as calculated by @barefoot greg, is 1.25"
    This would be the effective increase in clearance.
  10. chihawks35

chihawks35 Member 1 Year

yea it should pick me up a little bit thanks