Increasing HP on a '98 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by macs98burb, May 26, 2007.

1. macs98burb

macs98burb New Member

OK, one more thread and then I am going to quit for the day. Got a '98 'Burb with the 5.7. Occasionally I pull a car hauler or other utility trailer and, although it gets around ok on flat roads, it really loses power on the hills. What would you suggest to increase the power of this thing....I thought about selling it for something more suitable for towing, but I would prefer not to. I also do not want to mess up my mileage...I got 15 mpg on a 400 mile trip pulling a car hauler with a small car on it. Of course, I was really taking it easy...

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Full tune up, and oil change is a great place to start. Switching to synthetics couldn't hurt. Easiest hp mods are less restrictive air filter, and or headers. Neither will adversely affect mileage. You could opt for a hypertech tuner to adjust the pcm for a little more power, and adjust shifting for better economy at the same time.

3. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Supercharge it!!

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you like your gas mileage live with the horsepower you have, maybe a tuneup. Anything else is gonna cost you at the pumps.

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, I agree. If you only haul occasionally, then I would live with the decreased power while hauling for better economy when not hauing.

Now, if you haul a lot, then that's a different story.