1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Inferior OEM Speakers

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Tom Evans, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

I have just had the fourth OEM speaker fail on my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban that I have owned for five years. In fact, I have had one specific speaker fail twice. I replaced with GM OEM speakers each time. As an electrical engineer (and a former TV repairman), I took apart all of the dead speakers and found that they all failed for the same reason - manufacturing defect. The connection between the flexible wires going to the speaker voice coil broke in every speaker at exactly the same point. I would hazard a guess that the person making the connection did not appreciated the fragile nature of the #36 gauge speaker voice coil wire. At the recommendation of a fellow forum member, I bought two after-market speakers from Crutchfield. Crutchfield supplied mounting rings which interfaced exactly with the doors for a quick installation. They also supplied adapters which interfaced with the factory wiring harness. Best of all, I bought two after market speakers for less than the cost of one GM OEM speaker wholesale. And before you ask - this Suburban is not driven by a teenager and my heavy metal days were over about 30 years ago :)
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What do you listen to? Is it a Bose system? What speakers did you go with from CF?

And for the (and a former TV repairman), remark.. I bet you have a Awesome set of tools.... :lol: What movie is that from???
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

When you say the fourth speaker failed, do you mean you had four separte OE speakers and they all failed or this is the same speaker that keeps failing and gets replaced witha another OE speaker?

All four of the OE speakers in my 2001 Silverado eventually failed but they took a while. I replaced all my speakers about a year ago with some nice after-markets from Crutchfield.
  4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

Time for an upgrade buddy.
  5. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

I had four speakers fail in three different locations: RF, LF (twice) and LR. It is the YE9 sound system, not the Bose system. Yes, it's time for an upgrade - I've already got the front speakers replaced. I used the Sound Ordinance P-65 speakers from Crutchfield. The quote is from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Very good..