Info on American Roll Cover retractable tonneau cover?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by RMC_SS_LDO, Oct 18, 2010.

1. RMC_SS_LDO

RMC_SS_LDO Member

Been looking at various retractable covers and the American Roll Cover from Truck Covers USA has my interest.

I am leaning toward this one mainly because it seems stronger (can support up to 500# closed), it doesn't use a vinyl cover and it doesn't latch into the tail-gate (mine locks). Not really seriously looking at the Roll-n-lock or stuff from Pace Edwards based on 1st hand looks and folks results.

Anyone out there actually own one? I don't have a dealer locally to see one 1st hand so I figured I'd ask here...

/r

Allen

2. RMC_SS_LDO

RMC_SS_LDO Member

Bump...

Either these things suck or they don't sell for some reason- nobody has any 1st hand info on them???

/r

Allen

3. Scratch

Scratch Rockstar

I'm familiar with them. I think they are the best on the market although they are pretty darn expensive. They are made with double-walled aluminum (very strong), has a very small canister, and is low profile. The only con is that it requires 4 drain tubes instead of the typical 2. So, you have to drill two 1.25" holes just below the stake pockets at the rear of the bed. But, the cover comes with grommets, so it looks nice when your finished. Installation is not easy, I would say it's moderate.

Retrax just came out with an aluminum cover called a Protrax.

4. RMC_SS_LDO

RMC_SS_LDO Member

This may come out wrong, but I'm not as worried about the price tag if it is worth it.

If you have one, how long have you had it and how well has it held up? I ask because durability over the long-term weighs into my decision to pay a premium.

Thanks!

/r

Allen

5. RMC_SS_LDO

RMC_SS_LDO Member

Not much info out there on it, but I called them. They are sending some info- I guess they are just now getting them into full production. Looks promising and may seal better than some other offerings but it also is damn pricy for the standard bed Silverado (over $1400). :gasp:

We'll see, but the Truck Cover USA offering still looks like a winner so far... Not in a hurry since I still have to get approval from the War Department! SWMBO has set my priorities for now... :tussor:

/r

Allen

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010