1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Info on Throttle Body Spacers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by JennaBear, Jun 21, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member 100 Posts

This question comes up quite often in my PM box and emails, so I figured I would throw out my answers here.

Throttle body spacers (TBS) came about back in the time when TBI engines were the craze. The TBS did indeed help the TBIs as they helped to improve atomization of the fuel by changing the flow of air as the fuel was sprayed before the throttle body. The gains are minimal but are still there.

The TBS are a waste on the newer engines as the fuel is sprayed after the throttle body. The air is already "spun up" as it goes through the throttle body, so the TBS basically duplicates the effort. The TBS won't hurt your engine however, that being said, some folks wind up having problems with the spacer as it is one more thing to wiggle lose and cause leaks.
  2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

well said :)

i love the whistle though....not gonna lie
  3. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member 100 Posts

Mine gets annoying. I did pick up a little better throttle response, but that was it!
  4. 200mph

200mph New Member

You've raised a great point... as manufacturers work overtime to increase fuel mileage, many of yesterday's add-on solutions no longer apply to today's modern engines.

Port Fuel Injection is a tremendous advance from TBI in both power and efficiency. Direct injection (now available on some Euro cars and many diesels) will be even better!
  5. Jacqson

Jacqson Member 100 Posts

Yeah, all mine did was whistle so I got rid of it.
  6. VectraGT

VectraGT New Member

If you like the sound of a fake supercharger and want to make your truck "feel" faster, then a TBS is for you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.