Informational - GMC Suburban Stalling? - Check for...

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by dmeyer120, Jul 22, 2010.

1. dmeyer120

dmeyer120 New Member

Hi, if you have a 99 GMC Suburban that kills during warm weather don't spend thousands on repairs. Mine did this intermittantly, particularly in warm weather with the AC running, until I killed and a mechanic saw me. He stopped and asked the following:
    Is that a 1999? Yes
    Does it kills for no reason? Yes
    Is it worse when the weather is warm, like above 85 degrees? Yes
    Does your engine gauge read hot? No
    Here's the problem. He popped the hood pulled the top off the fuse box that is located on the drivers side and told me to let it cool down and go to the auto parts store and buy a new relay for the fuel pump and the AC. I did this and haven't had a problem since. Unfortunately, I had already dumped abotu $2500 into a new cat converter, fuel pump, fuel filter (twice), negative battery cable, four new 02 sensors, etc... My biggest beef is the dealer hit me for $2000 of that and he should have known better. I replaced the fule pump relay and the AC relay for under $20. Grrrrrr!

1 person likes this.
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thank you for the information! Good to know....and I hope this info gets to someone before they spend hard-earned money on bogus fixes as well! I hope you bought that mechanic a pizza and beer or something!

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2... also saves me since i have a 98 with the same motor and never know when you are gonna need that information.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fuel pump relay and AC relay- good info thanks.
    Where exactly are these relays- near that fuse box?
    Thanks
    Charlie
    I also have a 1998-214,000 miles- so I keep my eyes pealed for info just like this- THANKS!!

5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They are in the 'fuse box' up under the hood.

6. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know it was impromptu help and all, but did he give you any additional diagnostic information? They are just relays, and it probably wouldn't be hard to test with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram to see when the relay(s) is (are) failing open, but it would be interesting to know how he diagnosis these.

7. Steve83

Steve83 New Member

Could this affect a '97 diesel K3500?