Injection Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bkdraft, Jan 7, 2009.

1. bkdraft

bkdraft New Member

05 Sierra Denali, 60,000 miles. Dealer suggested I have the injectors cleaned. Is this really necessary? Is there an additive you can add that would do the same thing? Just dont want to waste 175.00 to have it done if its not going to help.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I don't know what "symptoms" your trying to address with the cleaning, but I have 114,000 miles on my '04 and have never had them cleaned. Someone else might have more knowledge about this, but I've not had a problem. Good luck!

3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have put Seafoam in my gas tank before (a pretty universal additive). It's supposed to clean the fuel system and injectors. I've also heard the Lucas fuel injector cleaner is good.

4. eeyore

eeyore New Member

i use Seafoam it works real good for me

5. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Not necessary at the miles you have, Seafoam at some regular intervals if needed. Other additives are good, but if you stick with the same fuel stations, you will have consistancy with your fuel system.

Jeff

6. 04blackgmc

04blackgmc Member

If you want a great service that will actually make a difference and help find a place that does BG services.

They will do a upper intake cleaning and fuel system additive. Stuff really works, but you will spend 120 or around there.

I had access to all the BG products for pretty much free while going to school and working at a shop for a year and the stuff is GREAT!

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

+1 on the BG, it's just really expensive.

I've used Seafoam in the past with good results and will continue to do so.

I don't think you need to have the injectors cleaned with those low miles, unless there is a problem that would call for that service to fix it. If they're talking for regular maintenance, tell them to shove it and find someone that's not going to rip you off.

8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Right on, same as I said, not really necessary......

Jeff