1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Inner door handle replacement 95-99 GM truck part 1

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by vncj96, Feb 6, 2009.

1. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tools:
    long shafted flat blade screwdriver of trim removal tool
    philips screwdriver
    rivet gun
    handle from dealership-34.95
    rivet from dealership-free
    I was unexperianced and it took 25 minutes including time to take pics

Step one: remove the trim piece around the handle, small circle plate by mirror, two screws in the grasp handle, and the trim peice covering the mirror bolts.
    everything but the screws will take careful removal to not break anything
    remove the switch plate with your hands it should just pop right out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. vncj96

part 2

Step two: remove the door panel, there are nine trim pins that hold the panel to the door, once those are popped out you slide the entire panel straight up, be sure to pull out the door's light bulb

[​IMG]

Step three: drill out the rivet, be sure to not go too deep

[​IMG]

Step four: remove the white pins on the old handle that hold the handle and locking rods in place, these can just be broken they are not reused, then you can slide the handle assembly forward and pull it out.

[​IMG]

Step five: slide new handle back in and attach the two rods, then rivet it back in place

[​IMG]

Step six: carefully put everything back in in the order it came out, be careful to line up all the door pins before you start pushing them back into the retainers within the inner door panel, these do break easy but if you lose a few in the process its no big deal
  3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member 100 Posts

Now you tell me how to do it! LOL after I got body shop to fix my wifes.:gasp:

Good write up good to know for the next time I have do mine. If you are on a budget you can get a handle like that for about $15 from the parts store in the HELP! parts section.
    It seems to work just as well but I dont know how long it will last compared to the OEM.
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Awesome. Good write-up - should come in handy for a lot of folks in the future. For a good oem chevy parts dealer that sells this handle at a good price go to www.gmpartsclub.com
  5. chevyrulz

chevyrulz New Member

oh man, thanks for the write up. i haven't tried this yet, but my flopping passenger door looks horrible and my friends are tired of having to roll down the window.

now how bout the outer door handles?? some obama supporter popped them with a flathead screwdriver trying to break into my tahoe @ the boat landing.
  6. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member 100 Posts

I had to do this last year. I got tired of having to roll my window down just to open the door from the outside.
  7. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Great write up!! Thanks for the info!

:rofl: Nicely put!
  8. kennyb79

kennyb79 New Member 100 Posts

Nice write up....I wish I would have read this before I did the job on my 1999 suburban. I busted the plastic piece around the handle. Anyway you can always get discount parts on places like ebay too...
  9. chevyrulz

chevyrulz New Member

sad, but true...
  10. vncj96

Thanks for the comments guys, that damn Obama supporter has got both front doors on mine, i will soon get that one up here as well!