Install Advice- Infinity Kappa 6.5s

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 03HeavyHalf, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

I just came across a dirt cheap set of kappas and i figured id get them. my buddy has infinity all the way around in his truck but he didnt install them himself. now ive heard these are a nightmare to install, im doing them in the front doors. If anybody has any advice or guidance on installing these that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've replaced all the speakers in my truck and it wasn't bad at all. Even ran all new wire. My truck is a regular cab though so I don't know it that makes a difference but my door speakers bolted right in. I don't know much about the kappas.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Other then the Infinty speakers being bright. Are you powering them with anything beside the factory radio? Install on a 03 should be fine. If you have the Sep tweeter in the upper piller I would disconnect it or the tweeter in the Kappas cause you will have a very bright and harch sound..

4. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

my system is bone stock. these speakers will be the first mod im doing

5. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Those doors are super easy to remove. There is a screw behind the lock indicator so don't forget to remove that

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

1. I've got component 6.5" Infinity Kappa's up front and component 4x6" Infinity Kappa plates in the rear.
    2. I recommend a foam spaker baffle to help protect the speaker from water and the like. (That's all they're really good for.)
    3. You will need to make new screw holes for the 6.5" mounting ring. This is no big deal.
    4. The 6.5's are larger in diameter than the original holes in the door panels. So, once you've mounted the 6.5's I recommend taking a dremel to the door panel to expand the stock hole so that the speaker fits properly. Go slowly and check your work often, as you can always remove more material but once you remove it you can never put it back on!
    5. I wouldn't put the crossovers in the doors; keep them in the cab if you can. (That'll mean some wiring.)
    6. I strongly recommend avoiding re-use of the A-pillar tweeter location. (Disconnect those guys or remove them, completely.)
    7. Instead, for the component tweeters you can take a dremel to the door panel and make holes for the tweets ... but be sure to choose your positions carefully such that there's enough depth behind the panel to allow for the tweeter's depths when they are in their mounting rings. The tweeter mounting rings are nice in that you can get a very flush look ... and even angle them once you've got their positions on the door panels determined. Again, take your time, here, check your work often, and get it right.
    8. Be sure to attenuate the crossover to -6db unless you like VERY bright, crisp highs.

My Infinities sit behind the stock speaker grilles and I even left the dippy 'Bose' emblem in place. :) I considered these pretty darn simple to install. Note, however, that I didn't use ANY of the stock wiring for my system.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

Thanks i will certainly keep all that in mind, especially when i have my doors tore apart and am swearing at my truck lol but these speakers dont have the little tweeters like you said its just the speakers themselves.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ahh, they are the coaxials?

9. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

It says 2 way, im not very well versed in audio stuff. but im getting 2 12 inch kickers and a 1k amp for 200 here soon. that will probably be done professionally lol

10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

the kappas aint hard to install, the only difference between these speakers and others is that they have an external crossover wired to them. all i did was put some double-sided 3M tape on the back of it and mount it inside the door, then mount the speaker