Install Advice- Infinity Kappa 6.5s

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 03HeavyHalf, Mar 24, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If memory serves, the instructions that come with the Kappas actually states not to put it in the door. Presumably this is due to moisture. It's also probably a CYA maneuver on Infinity's part. :)
  2. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

If he has 2-way speakers he shouldn't have a crossover. Unless I'm missing something, I've never seen this speakers so... I very well could be. Kappa components would have a crossover. Also I second surreal, not a good idea to mount inside the doors.
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

sorry for the premature comment, i just kinda threw it in there but if its the KAPPA series speakers there IS an "external" crossover thats just like the "feature" of that class. but i have the 4X6 infinity kappa plate speakers in my rear cab (single cab) and its mounted inside that frame deal thing if you know what i mean. but also if i was to have kappas in the door, sorry to say you WOULD have to mount the crossover in the door if you google pictures of them, you will see that the external crossover is wired to the speaker and it is only about 6 inches of wire before the crossover, so im assuming if you mount it in the door, sad to say you would have to mount the crossover in the door as well, just because the crossover is that close to the speaker
  4. zigger215

I just looked up the kappa two-way series 6.5s and they are a component set with the type of external cross over I'm thinking of. The type you don't want to and according to the pictures, you don't have to mount in the doors, looks like every other crossover on the market for component speakers, you run your input to the crossover, outputs to the woofer and tweeter and your done, good to go, you make your own length for the speaker wire. I still could be missing something but the pictures were pretty compelling. Are you saying with your speakers the crossover came "hard wired" to the woofer itself? Sounds like a very horrible design!
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. SurrealOne

Zigger, I think he has the coaxial and not the component version. I don't know anything about the coaxial version's crossovers and, thus, am not sure how those should be handled.
  6. zigger215

Yea that's what I thought too but he said he has 2-way kappas, when I looked up 2-ways from infinity they popped up component sets. Some ill admit, I'm thoroughly confused now. Sounds like we are hung up on model name technicalities.
  7. reggiecab2000

hmmm... this is very confusing indeed guys...
    let me just stick to my guns then, if you look up my 4x6 kappas
    [​IMG]

these are what i have in the rear cab of my single cab... as you can see there is the external crossover "hardwired" into the speakers as is... now i will just need to compare to the 6.5s (coax vs. component) to see who is confused where l;ol

update:
    okay heres the answer guys...
    infinity kappas (component set) is just like any other component set (woofer, tweeter, crossover)
    infinity kappas coax set, is just like mine i.e. an external crossover hardwired into the speakers approximately 6 inches away
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  8. zigger215

Actually I'm not confused anymore. I thought you were talking about 6.5s not your 4x6s. That makes sense now.
  9. reggiecab2000

i believe it applies to all these speaker sizes zigger.
    the coax 6.5's are the same design as mine but obviously a 6.5" size not 4x6.
    but the component 6.5 kappas are the traditional component setup.
    sorry if im sounding repetitive, i think you understand. im just very specific sometimes in the hopes that everyone ends up on the same page :)
  10. SurrealOne

I read it the same way you did, zigger, and thought he meant the 6.5's too. (That probably has a lot to do with this thread being about the 6.5's and not about 4x6's.) I agree it makes sense now.